Haste Makes Waste...and Missed Trains

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Tuesday's are way worse than Monday's. Monday's catch a bad wrap, but it's Tuesday's that do you dirty. 

So today, Tuesday, I had to take off work early and head home to get some HR shiz taken care of for my new job. I busted ass all morning to make the 2:45 train. I left work at 2:40, power walked for three minutes and realized I needed to pick up the pace. So I ran into the station and heard my train being announced. I didn't listen after I heard my station, I just hauled ass to the track it's usually on and plunked down in a seat. It may officially be fall, but there's some summer humidity kicking around, so I bet the people next to me really appreciated my heavy breathing and the sweat rag I fashioned out of my bandanna from work as I took up three seats with my backpack and lunchbox. I'm like 28 going on 8. 

I take out my phone to text Brent my train victory, all excited emojis and swagger. I email the HR woman to let her know I'm on my way! Then I have to put my phone down b/c the crease inside my elbows is sweating and I have to keep my arms strait for a minute. I'm really nailing this Tuesday, in case you're not picking up what I'm putting down.

The train slows and stops for a while and since I'm not reading or on my phone I notice some unfamiliar scenery. Huh, this is what not falling asleep on the train looks like, I think to myself. The train pulls into a station and everyone starts to get off. That's weird, I think, hardly anyone ever gets off here. Then the conductor comes through, announcing last stop. Um....what?

Turns out I was at South Station, the center of the commuter rail. In my haste to catch my train, I forgot that it wouldn't be on the track it normally is b/c the 2:45 isn't the train I normally take. So now I'm stuck farting around South Station for an hour before my train, and since HR probably leaves at 5pm on the dot, I might not even get my shit straightened out....and have to do this all over tomorrow. 

At least tomorrow will be Wednesday. Hump Day never does me dirty like this.  

Comments

Popular Posts