Sunday Morning

the face that keeps me from buying out the BB&B clearance section 

There’s nothing like Sunday errands first thing in the morning before everyone else wakes up. No line to wait in for your coffee, no one ahead of you at the deli counter, no other carts in front of yours at the checkout. Easy like a Sunday morning, indeed.

Raise your hand if that’s ever happened to you. 

shrugs. looks away.

I don’t drink coffee and I’ve never beaten out the gaggle of old ladies at the deli counter. There’s always 900 people in front me at the checkout line. Such is life.

But this is where I blog about living my best life, and in an effort to not be a curmudgeony 90 30 year old, let me focus on the positive. I’ll skip right over the fact that Brent and I went to our local doughnut shop (Honey Dew), very excited to finally give them a try only to find that they were out of every single doughnut except plain. Oh, and if you wanted a chicken salad sandwich on a cinnamon raisin bagel, they had a lot of signs about that. So they were probably sold out of that, too.

After a supermarket success and a doughnut shop fail, we went to Bed Bath and Beyond b/c browsing the clearance section is kind of “our thing.” Nothing turns our frowns upside down like finding a chipped serving bowl or an electric fondue set that’s missing a fork. 

We got around to washing our duvet cover a few weeks ago and I mentioned that I’d be in the market for a new one if ever we were at the clearance section and the price was right. Lo and behold, what should I find on the clearance shelf today but a queen sized duvet cover in a beautiful shade of teal. Kenneth Cole, and virtually a steal for only $75! I plucked it from the shelf immediately, picturing how spruced up our bedroom would look. I grabbed a few throw pillows, since we didn’t have the matching shams for our pillows. I excitedly called Brent over and thrust my finds in his face, expecting him to be as thrilled as I was. A new duvet! Name brands! More pillows! What else is there in life?! 

Brent asked me why we needed the pillows and I said since we didn’t have the shams we needed something or the bed would look naked. He raised his eyebrows and I started to put the throw pillows back. He shrugged his shoulders at the duvet cover, saying the color was fine, and then blanched at the price when I showed him. But it’s usually $149! I said. And we have a 20% off coupon! I said.

You want to spend $60 on a duvet cover? He asked. 

That’s when I realized I didn’t. Not in the slightest. I’ve been trying to streamline the chaos of what we already own, not add to it. I loved him right then and there, in the clearance section of Bed Bath and Beyond. Sometimes I just need that eyebrow raise or second guessing pause to realize I don’t need any of it. Our faded duvet cover will last us another year (or five) and work just fine.

Comments