Savory Pumpkin Pie

It's Saturday night and I'm curled up on the couch w/ a fleece blanket and a cup of tea. The Christmas tree is lit up, the Michael Buble holiday station is on, and I'm getting up every five minutes to shoo the cats away from the low hanging ornaments. The prospect of a relaxing Saturday night and a lazy Sunday stretches out before me. Outside, it's the first snowfall of the season. Get Hallmark on the line, this sounds like the setting for an instant holiday classic.

I'm not here to photodump our Christmas decor (mostly b/c every other blogger has beaten me to the punch it doesn't look as good on camera as IRL), but I've got something just as exciting planned. A recipe you need to make NOW.

Last night's dinner was make-your-own-pie. I browned the chorizo, crumbled the feta and chopped some fresh herbs. Brent went straight for the traditional red sauce and shredded mozzarella. Always a good bet, but I was in the mood for something a little different. 


If you're like me, you've had some pumpkin puree rattling around in the back of your fridge or pantry since Thanksgiving. Go find it b/c it's the star of the show in this pizza. 

Wait, pumpkin pizza? Da fuq? 

I know, right, sounds a little batty. Trust me though; I stood at the counter and licked the pizza wheel after cutting into this pie b/c I couldn't get enough. It's that good.

Savory pumpkin pie might have been a little misleading, and I hope by now you realize I'm not talking about traditional pumpkin pie, but a pizza pie. It's very simple and very easy to dress up according to your taste buds, which make for the best recipes. Let me know if you try this and fall in love like I did.


Pumpkin, Feta, Chorizo and Sage Pizza 

Ingredients: 
1 pizza crust 
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 package chorizo (4-6 ounces)
3/4 cup feta 
1/2 cup fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions: 
1. Preheat oven to 425 F
2. Spread pumpkin puree over pizza crust and bake for 9-12 minutes (depending on how crispy you like your pizza)
3. While crust is baking, brown chorizo over medium heat and rough chop the sage
4. Once crust is baked to your liking, add the toppings: sprinkle the chorizo, sage, feta, thyme, salt and pepper over the pizza.
5. Slice and serve hot   

Comments