Breakfast Pizza

I almost missed my credit card payment. I pay it around the 5th or 6th (it’s due by the 7th) and August snuck up on me like a sly little ninja. Not only did it sneak up on me, it totally knocked me over the head as it’s literally flying by me.

Just to clarify, I’m not a credit delinquent or anything. I know the bill comes out in the middle of the month. The mere thought of having to pay interest on the crazy high scam credit card companies are running makes me indignant with rage. I comb through my bill and make sure those purchases are legit and paid in full. I somehow got in the habit years and years ago of paying my bill on the fourth or fifth of the month, and that’s where we are today.

The fast-moving summer comes as no surprise, but I am a little embarrassed by how I seemed to completely forget about the Babbler. My one reader (Hi, Sarah!) called me out on it and I promised to put something up ASAP. That was on Monday, so I’m still going to consider this timely as long as I get it up by the end of the workday.

Brent and I have spent the majority of our summer frolicking around Boston’s beer gardens, patios and outdoor pop-ups, making up for the fact that we spent the last few summers outside the city and drinking in the solitude of our own backyard. We could drink in our backyard now, but we decided that trucking beers down the three flights and running up three flights for every bathroom break wasn’t worth the money we’d be saving. Didn’t you read my intro about how totally financially savvy we are? (since I can already predict a comment from Brent about this, who takes his financial savviness VERY SERIOUSLY, let me head that off right now by saying it’s a joke, B, I’m very impressed by your dedication to our retirement).

Enjoying our first summer back in the city doesn’t leave a ton of time for reading and writing blog content. But I’m here today with a real winner; a breakfast recipe to impress overnight guests and mother-in-laws and anyone else who’s dropping in now that you don’t live in the middle of nowhere. Breakfast is in the name, but you can whip this up for lunch or dinner, if you’re so inclined. Pizza doesn’t play by the rules.


Breakfast Pizza

Ingredients:

-6 eggs
-2 tablespoons milk (optional; for scrambled eggs, but you can use water, cream, or omit)
-1/2 can black beans
-6 strips of bacon
-1 tomato
-1 small bunch scallions
-pre-cooked pizza crust (of course you can make your own dough!..but it’s the summer and why lie to yourself)
-1 cup shredded cheese (whatever variety is in your fridge at the moment; I’m sure we used some kind of nacho blend)
-Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Scramble eggs. Rinse black beans and add them when eggs are nearly done, just to warm up beans.
3. Cook bacon - not too crispy, as you'll be putting it back in the oven to cook with the pizza
4. Cut tomato, scallions, and any other toppings. As I’m writing this, I realize how good onions would be, and some hot peppers.
5. Pile pizza high with eggs, beans, bacon (sausage/your preferred breakfast meat), veggies and cheese. If you didn’t add salt and pepper to your eggs, sprinkle some over the pie now.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until everything is warm and cheese is melted. Top with scallions, Sriracha, ranch and enjoy the most important meal of the day. 

Comments

Sarah said…
Hi! Your back! Will you make this when Beth and I visit at the end of the month? Maybe Brent and I can discuss the pros and cons of Roth versus traditional IRAs while we wait for it to bake.
Sarah said…
Uggh. It should be "you're back". I wanted to clarify that I know the difference.
Anne said…
Fine...now you've made me come out of the woodwork. Reader #2! :) (Love your writing style and hearing about Boston...)