Thursday Thoughts

It's going to be 57 degrees tomorrow. Last Friday was like 9 degrees with a negative windchill by nightfall. A Boston woman died walking home last Friday because it was so cold. And now college kids (and other dum-dums) will trot around the quad tomorrow, posting things like, "60 degrees in February? I'll take it!" So much is wrong here. Boston has had barely any snow this winter, while Buffalo was nearly destroyed by back-to-back storms closing out 2022. I hate driving in the snow, I hate shoveling snow, but I live in the northeast so I deal with it. This mild winter is troubling. These crazy temperature swings can't be okay for the flora and fauna. What we're doing to our planet is awful.

I'm also on a real pro-planet, anti-human kick after reading The Light Pirate by Lily Brooks-Dalton. Wanda is growing up in a Florida so affected by climate change, the state is shutting down, and the rest of the country isn't far behind. The writing is beautiful and the story is powerful and I can't help but think that Brooks-Dalton knows something we don't.

Today was our belated staff holiday party and my team came in second place in trivia. I'm still salty because I KNEW the answer to the last question and no one believed me - or they just thought their answer was better? The real takeaway here is I shouldn't play trivia b/c I get way too competitive and it can't be good for my stress levels.

Brent just told me about the Flowers and When I Was Your Man theory and my mind is blown. Did she have to give him a writing credit or something? Olivia Rodrigez was under fire when the Good 4 U/Misery Business mash-ups were all over the place so she gave Hayley Williams songwriting credit. Why, because they both go from a little slow and moody into angsty, yelly choruses? Doesn't seem necessary - meanwhile Flowers is literally the chorus from When I Was Your Man, swapped out a hair, and Miley is off the hook. I like Miley and Flowers as much as the next gal, but that doesn't sit right with me. If we're going to enforce these arbitrary rules, we should be imposing them fairly across the board.

I'll take Galentine's Day and any excuse to get together with your friends and indulge. But what is with the multitude of "Anti-Valentine's" and "I Hate Valentine's" and "F#ck Exes" brunches and wine and paint nights that I'm seeing? Are THAT many people torn up about a random holiday that's meant for people in love embracing their relationship? Brent and I aren't Valentine's people ourselves; we exchange cards, I buy myself half-priced candy on the 15th, and we call it a day. Why all the animosity; if someone wants to treat their partner to an exorbitantly overpriced meal that's corny and cliched, what's it to you?

I'm going to end the post here, seeing as this has done nothing but fire me up when I should be quieting down for the night. Here's to more positive thoughts tomorrow and into the weekend - at the very least, we've all got a mini-Rihanna concert coming our way, so life can't be that bad.

Comments