Snow Day

a little snow wasn't going to interfere w/ my wedding pictures 

It's days like today when I really wish I had majored in education like a bunch of my friends. Stupid teachers. They have all the luck. Besides a zillion days of built in time off, they get blessed with early dismissals and delays to their morning and --the jackpot-- the elusive snow day. 

I didn't know snow days were a thing in the real world. Somehow everyone I know on social media is a teacher/counselor/school administrator and all I see are posts of grown adults in cozy robes, holding big mugs of what I can only assume to be boozy coffee, lolling in front of the television with their dogs and cats while the snow falls majestically outside in one picturesque scene that makes me want to vomit.

I'll admit I am home today, but that's only because I switched my normal day off with today so I don't have to risk anybody's life driving a maximum of 5 miles per hour with my hazards blinking and frantically waving at the line of cars behind me to just go around. 

Snow days as an adult are nothing like snow days as a kid. Snow days as a kid were magical and almost mythical; growing up in one of the snowiest cities in the country, we were constantly prepared for heavy snow. Snow days as a kid meant sledding and building forts and hot chocolate with marshmallows because it was a special day. Snow days as an adult mean shoveling and laundry; I'd almost rather be at work. 

When you don't work at a school where the entire operation is closed, having to stay home from work is just another reason to stress out, knowing that you'll have that much more to catch up on tomorrow. If you're lucky enough to be able to work from home, snow days aren't even an option. Brent's working from home today, holed up in one of the bedrooms, staying away from me the cats, who try and distract him at every turn. 

The one thing snow days as an adult have on snow days as a kid is absolute freedom. Yes, I could use today to catch up on laundry and meal prep, that'd be the responsible thing to do. But everyone knows snow days aren't for being responsible. If I choose to spend my snow day in pajamas eating cookie dough straight out of the refrigerator, that's my choice and no one's going to tell me otherwise. Brent's look of disgust as he passes by me in the kitchen might deter me momentarily, but for all intents and purposes, he's in the office today. Here, it's just me and five feet of snow.

Comments

Betsy said…
We ended up with a snow day from work this year. I'm glad that they decided to close the day before. The conditions were definitely treacherous.
Brigid said…
Seriously, if it's unsafe out there, just let people stay home! It's a huge pet peeve of mine, as someone who can't work from home. I've gotten worse about driving in snow the older I get, but it's just not worth it to me.