Five Tips for Being Happier Right Now

a tiny head peeking out from a catnap in the sun makes me unabashedly happy 

One month into fall, my favorite season, and I'm already over it. I love this time of year, but for some reason the constant runny nose, chapped lips and dry skin is putting a damper on my usual fall revelry. Part of it has to do with the fact that I had so much to look forward to come fall; I spent the better part of August wishing away summer. September and October brought a sisters reunion in Chicago, friends visits, my birthday, finally seeing Hamilton, thrill after thrill. Now that it's all over, I'm left feeling kind of blah.

It's not always easy to be happy, honestly, sometimes it's just easier to be pissed. I don't want to be, but sometimes it seems like everybody and everything in my life is conspiring to frustrate me. Being annoyed all the time isn't just annoying for you (your husband/wife/kids/etc probably don't love it), but it's also unhealthy. Stress can wreak major havoc on your physical and mental health. So in an effort to put some good karma out into the universe, hoping it might come back to me in a way that doesn't make me want to stab someone, I'm sharing a few ways to help battle that negativity and spark some joy. 

Practice Gratitude 
Recognize how fortunate you are and appreciate it. This can be hard, because yes, I'm healthy and lucky enough to have been born in a free country, but I still have problems and those problems aren't negated just because they may or may not be first world. I'm digressing here, but the takeaway is to be grateful for what you have. Write down things that you're thankful for and appreciate the little things, like the perfectly ripe banana in your pantry; it's really humbling when you realize that hashtag blessed is actually about your life.

Go For A Walk
We all know the benefits of exercise, but we also know the very real struggles that make it seem impossible. Maybe you can't spend an hour at the gym, but you've got ten minutes somewhere. Take a break, clear your mind and go for a walk, whether it's a lap around your work or your neighborhood. In the words of Elle Woods: "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't kill their husbands, they just don't."

Indulge Yourself
I don't mean in an ice cream sundae, or that new Kate Spade bag (but if that's what it takes, do you). We spend so much time doing things for others that we ignore our own needs. Sometimes I'm so busy I work straight through my shift, get home starving and run down, skip my workout, and binge on Doritos and hot pockets. I try to carve out a time for myself mid-day, even if it's only ten minutes, to make myself something real and sit down with my thoughts before finishing my workday. Sometimes happiness is choosing your needs over the needs of others.

Go To Sleep
Okay, maybe you can't do this one right now (unless you've cobbled out a nap nook like George Costanza). But sleep is so, so important and you probably aren't getting enough of it. When you're tired, you're irritable, unfocused, and more likely to eat crap that isn't helping you feel your best. The first step in setting yourself up for a good day is a good night's sleep. 

Smile
Pardon me here while I divulge one of the more hippy-dippy tricks, but this one is proven; smiling immediately boosts your mood. It's hard to be angry and smile, and I'm not talking about some evil Grinch grin, I'm talking about a genuine, friendly face. If you're feeling super overwhelmed in the moment, take a breath and force yourself to smile. It should calm you down and trick your brain into thinking you're happy. Sometimes you just need a little nudge in the right direction. 

Comments