Non-Negotiables

red velvet croissants are always a non-negotiable

I read an article in the New York Times about readers' wellness non-negotiables. Things like going for a walk, finding joy in the small stuff, starting the day with a phone call to a friend. Nothing groundbreaking, but important enough to make time for it every day. It got me thinking about what mine are; what do I prioritize to ensure my day is off to a good start, or ending on a good note?

My mental health is in the trash right now (see prior post), so maybe this isn't the best time to make this list. Or maybe it's the perfect time. There's so much data about how forming small habits and practicing gratitude improve overall wellness. So here's what I do every day to make sure I'm not too far gone:

Wake up with movement
If I do it first thing, there's no excuse for not getting it done and it's one less thing to worry about. I don't need to be active for a certain amount of time or be dripping with sweat. Sometimes it's a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood, sometimes it's my bike ride into work. I feel like a total boss when I've crossed something off my list by 9am.

Avoid my phone first thing
I set my alarm the latest I can so I get the most amount of sleep while still making it to work on time. B/c I'm an anxious person, I rarely need an alarm to wake-up, and I'm at work 20 minutes before I need to be. These considerations are worked into my morning, which leaves zero time for scrolling on my phone. I put my phone in airplane mode before bed so I'm not distracted by texts or notifications first thing. I use Brent's phone to check the weather and that's it until I get to work and get settled.

Read
There's no parameters for this one - I just do it. Whether it's a chapter at lunch, before bed or pressing play on my audiobook during a walk, I'm making time for books. I'd much rather read a book or listen to an audiobook than be alone with my thoughts.

Discuss the day w/ Brent
Brent works from home, so he's been cooped up with the cats all day. I like to think me coming home is a bright spot in his day, too (whether this is true or not). I change from my work clothes to my lounge clothes, start making my lunch for the next day, get dinner going and we chat about our day. Sometimes nothing interesting happened and it's a two minute convo before we're on a tangent about something else. Actually, that's probably most of the time. But I like sharing these little insights from our day with each other and signaling the start of our evening together.

Connect on Instagram
This one is a double-edged sword, b/c social media is a huge time suck and I know it's not doing my self-esteem/worth any favors. But I really do like the kinship I've found on there. Sure, sometimes catching up on every post is a chore, but for the most part, I like that feeling of community. I've made solid acquaintances and real life friends. As long as I'm not on there for too long, it's a positive. Find me here!

Cat snuggles
Finn is good about this, but Munch not so much. Whether she likes it or not, she's getting my undivided attention for a few minutes a day. What's the point in having cats if you can't maul snuggle them?

Nightly routine
Flossing, brushing, face washing; the typical boring routine. But I'm a creature of habit, so this a total non-negotiable. Depending on the time of year, this creeps up earlier and earlier. Soon enough, I'll be brushing my teeth at 8pm. Once it's done, the evening is mine. After that I can read, watch TV or scroll my phone, guilt-free, until it's time for bed, and waking up to do it all over again.

Comments