What Every Mom Wants to Hear on Mother's Day

I think we all know that boys are much bigger drama queens than girls about most some things. The cable is out and he can’t watch the game/draft/Megan Fox THS. The milk is expired, but he really wants cereal for dinner (this is like, a red-alert crisis). And don’t even get me started on the transformation they undergo at the first sign of sickness; it’s from normally rational man to whiny bitch in about .02 seconds. If B is coming down w/ something - anything - he makes sure I know about it the second his throat starts to scratch.

Sometimes I’ll humor him by picking up some OJ or chicken soup (b/c I too enjoy these things, sick or healthy). Most of the time I just complain how his complaining about being sick is making me sick (got that?) I’m not generally prone to ignoring my boyfriend’s feelings, but the sick card is played a little too often - ladies, am I right or am I right?

We’re watching TV the other night and B swigs a sip of my drink. Mistake #1. Even though I’m in perfect health, he makes some big huge deal that his throat is sore. We’re snuggling up to bed that night and I smell the unmistakable odor of antiseptic cherry. I ask him if he’s eating a cough drop. Mistake #2. He goes on and on about the second he drank from my glass he knew he was sick and it’s all my fault blah blah blah.

The next day we’re having a nice Mother’s Day lunch with his family. The meal is over and I’m craving something sweet, so I reach for B’s soda. He reminds me that he’s sick. How could I forget? I tell him that he’s not sick and proceed to take a sip from his drink. He’s all “I know my body, blah blah blah.” I’m all, “I know your body” and before I can go on in the context we’re discussing, his mom goes, “Well, isn’t that wonderful.”

I knew she was kidding and didn’t care about my comment, but that didn’t stop me from turning bright red and being incredibly embarrassed. B and his dad are laughing and I want to slink out of the booth; preferably somewhere where I haven’t tainted the image some mother has for her son. Can’t wait to see what gem I’ll blurt out on her birthday.

Comments

Unknown said…
HAHA! I loved your post.
You. Are. Amazing. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way!
Brigid said…
Glad you enjoyed it...I think it's a well-known fact! (except to our men, haha)