Wimbledon Ambitions

After watching Serena kill it at Wimbledon on Saturday, B was confident he could take me on the courts.

you go girl!

I was a little less enthusiastic. Whenever we play, one of us ends up pissed. Because one of us ends up losing. And we’re both HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. Not exactly the recipe for a light-hearted, Saturday afternoon match at the neighborhood park.

We’ve been trying to play for months, and continue to get sidetracked by assholes cops or inclement weather. Or seeing the courts we used to play on get straight-up demolished. I guess the universe doesn’t want us playing, either.

With so much time spanning our last match, I’d forgotten how ugly they can get, so I agreed to play. Besides, B was talking some serious smack and if there’s one thing I can’t rise above, it’s trash talk. Sometimes I’m amazed I’ve made it this far in life.

I won’t go into the gory details. Mainly b/c they’re embarrassing. I really need to work on good sportsmanship. What’s that old adage: it’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game. Right?

Wrong. Winning is fucking awesome. Losing is for losers. And I am not a loser. Immature? Yes. A poor sport? Absolutely. But a loser? Hah. Just wait until I get some more court-time. I’m talking to you, BB.

Comments

Sarah said…
Just remember that tennis rackets aren't flexible and when you slam them on the ground they break. It will be hard to stage a comeback with a splintered racket. :)
Brigid said…
I always have trouble remembering that!