My Cat Has Acne

Poor Binxy. I gotta be honest, I feel kind of responsible for all of this. Is it all the greasy pizza I’m feeding him? The chocolate covered French fries he laps up between meals? There’s really not a whole lot of healthy skin antioxidants in sugar and grease, I suppose. I’ve got to face the facts; I’m a rotten mom. 

In my defense, I didn’t think I would be dealing w/ these things until the lil’ guy hit puberty. I mean, he’s only 5 (according to the shelter, which means they have absolutely no clue); I thought I’d have a few more years to prepare. 

When the vet tech mentioned that it could be feline acne I was all, nice try, buddy. Stop putting your insecure adolescent shit on me. Then the vet came in and confirmed that it was most likely feline acne and was like, wait, that’s really a thing? Is no one safe from the pain and embarrassment of oily T-zones and ginormous, picture-ruining zits? 

So now I have this topical treatment to apply twice daily. Luckily for me, I can get Binx to do almost anything, as long as there’s a treat involved. He’s like his mama that way. The vet said this should do the trick, and I can’t help but be optimistic. I mean, she said it was pretty much the Proactive for cats. Or maybe that was the joke I made (which explains the awkward silence while I was settling the bill). Regardless, I’m hopeful this will help my little guy. If anyone understands the affliction of acne, it’s this girl. Especially since I wasn’t allowed to wear makeup in high school. And by “wasn’t allowed” I mean that I didn’t know the first thing about makeup and the fact that it could be used to hide zits. I still don’t, which is why when my giant period pimple pops up every month, I just slap a band-aid on it and pretend like it’s an ode to Nelly. 

It’s been a helluva week for my little guy. First the nail trimming debacle, and now this. A lesser cat might have crumbled under the pressure. Or ran away from his clearly unfit owner. But ole Binxy isn’t even fazed. He takes it in stride as long as he has a hard drink next to him. Another attribute he shares w/ his mama.



Margaritas, lime-a-ritas; we don't discriminate.


Comments

Yeewuz said…
Oh man, remember when you used to wear Silly Bandz!?
Brigid said…
that is literally the first thing I noticed about this picture! god, I was cool.