Very Berry Crisp

Mmmm, is there anything more autumnesque than apple crisp? It’s July and humid as hell and I’m salivating just thinking of those crisp fall days and apple orchards. But I’m trying to be all seasonal over here so I decided to put my own spin on the classic apple crisp and do some sort of berry concoction. Read: I had one two many pints of berries this close to spawning fruit fly families and I had to figure out a way to not send $10 bucks worth of fresh, seasonal produce down the garbage disposal.

My favorite thing about apple crisp (besides the ice cream you pair it with) is the crumble on top. Butter, brown sugar, oats; simple, classic, and friggin delicious. This is one recipe I feel like I have a pretty good handle on; probably b/c the thing is damn near foolproof and any way you string together these ingredients, it’s going to taste good. Regardless, it’s a winner. Brent even had thirds, the guy who usually won’t go for seconds of my cooking, and rarely even does firsts of the sweet stuff #boys

A lot of apple crisp recipes call for you to cube your butter and cut it into your flour/oat mixture. That’s all well and good, but you know what’s even easier? Melted butter. It binds your flour/oat mixture better and guarantees your crumble to be browned and flavorful.

My measurements in the recipe below are more like an estimation (guidelines, as it were), especially on the berries, since I just threw in what I had (and had been picking at the berries throughout the week and took out a handful of strawberries for a smoothie a few times). Just make sure your fruit is evenly covered w/ the citrus juice and sugar and that you have enough melted butter to bind your crumble together.



Very Berry Crisp

Ingredients:

1 pint blueberries
1 pint strawberries
1/2 pint raspberries
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

For the topping:

1 cup flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 stick butter, melted

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the berries with the citrus juices, sugar, and cinnamon. Pour into your prepared dish.

To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt and oatmeal in a small mixing bowl. In a separate, microwave safe bowl, melt your butter. Pour the butter over your flour/oat mixture and mix evenly. Scatter the crumble over the berries.

Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until the top is brown and the berries are bubbly. Serve warm w/ ice cream (non-negotiable!)

Comments