Bring a Book

Those were words to live by growing up in my house. Wherever we went – the dentist, grocery shopping, church – my mom always advised us to bring a book. Old habits die hard; to this day, I seldom go anywhere w/out a book. It certainly makes purse shopping a little easier, being able to dismiss more than half of what’s on the shelves, knowing that tiny clutch won’t hold a small paperback, let alone a hefty hardcover. 

I credit my parents for my deep love for reading. Books were the dominant gift for birthdays and holidays, and between my sisters and me, we had a pretty great collection. Whenever I’m thrift shopping and see an old book from childhood, I have to stop immediately and reread it. Maybe even buy it. As long as it’s not more than $2. 

I signed up for a GoodReads account a few years ago but never really got into it. So I joined Shelfari for the sole fact that I could add the widget to my blog and show off how cool I am. Reading is cool now, right?

I added my latest book to Shelfari yesterday and saw that I’ve read 20 books this year. Some were short, others were long; some were blah, and others I couldn't devour fast enough.

Some of my favorites were:

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian – Sherman Alexie

One of Alexie’s books was assigned as a summer reading initiative for incoming students my freshman year of college. Being the nerd apt pupil that I am, of course I read it (and did the extra credit paper). Alexie came to the college for a lecture that fall and I was surprised how much I enjoyed him. I didn’t care for that first book, but seeing him that fall and having read a few of his books since has made me a convert. This book was probably my favorite of his. 

How to be a Woman – Caitlin Moran

I read Lena Dunham’s book recently (another recommended read), and she noted her fond feelings for Caitlin Moran. Coincidentally, I had just read a novel by Moran, which I liked enough, so I decided to give this one a try. Absolutely loved it. She’s hilarious and so friggin’ relatable. 

The Sweet Life in Paris – David Lebovitz

I have a bit of a crush on David Lebovitz, if we’re being honest here. Anyone ballsy enough to walk into a Michelin rated restaurant and ask the Chef for a job is bound to be a character. Anyone who posts that many free, swoon-worthy recipes on their blog FO’ FREE is a hero. This book is smart and funny and somehow makes me want to visit Paris and never go back again, if that’s possible. I laughed out loud several times on the train, and I got several new delicious dessert recipes; what more could you possibly want out of a book?

Honorable Mentions:

Yes, Please - Amy Poehler 

What can I say about this that hasn’t already made the rounds on blog world? I liked Poehler even more after reading this, especially after learning she’s from Burlington, MA and went to BC. The chapter dissecting her time on Parks and Recreation and all the actors was definitely my favorite part. 

Dark Places – Gillian Flynn

Not as good as Gone Girl (read my review on that here), but better than Sharp Objects. There, that’s all you need to know. Also, I guess this is being made into a movie?! W/ Christina Hendricks?! And Charlize?!

What better start to spring than a good book on a park bench? Speaking of park benches and public property, here's a fitting picture I took from a trip to NYC a few years ago. B/c this is the type of touristy shit I like to do. My friend and I are a real wild time, I tell you what.

Comments