Comfort Food: Chicken Pot Pie

Oh, hello. I’ll spare you the Thanksgiving recap and the “omg, is it really already December” crap and get right into the good stuff: pie.

I’ve always loved me some pie, but only in recent years, when realizing how finicky pie dough can be, and how mastering a fluted edge really is some ninja level shit, have I truly appreciated pie for all that it is. And all that it is is spectacular.

Pecan and pumpkin are pretty much required this time of year; apple is always welcome. I made those and a deep dish cookie cake for our Thanksgiving dinners. Pie for days, that’s just how I roll. Since the cookie cake didn’t need a crust, I had extra pie dough, and since there’s no such thing as too much pie, I had a pot pie on the books for dinner this week.

After a quick Pinterest search, I had about a dozen recipes I wanted to try. So I decided to wing it. Pressed play on my Pandora Holly Jolly station and got to work. The following deliciousness ensued. 

A quick heads up: I like my pot pie firm and not too runny. If you like a gooier pot pie, you’ll probably want to add more milk or chicken stock. I didn’t use chicken stock b/c I was lazy and didn’t feel like going to the pantry to open any. Also, I used pie dough from scratch b/c I had extra from the holiday, but Pillsbury (or the generic supermarket brand) makes a damn good pie crust. Whatever gets this pot pie in your belly is what matters here. 


Chicken Pot Pie 

Adapted from here 

Ingredients

2-3 small potatoes, peeled and diced 
5 tablespoons butter 
1 small onion, diced
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Thyme – I didn’t measure, but I would guess around ½ teaspoon
Celery salt – again, didn’t measure, but you don’t need more than one or two shakes
1/3 cup flour (more if you're rolling your pie dough)
1/2 cup milk
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded/cubed
½ bag your favorite frozen veggies (I used a mix w/ corn, peas, carrots, green beans and lima beans)
2 pie crusts

Instructions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Boil potatoes to soften. Drain and set aside. 
Melt butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
Add salt, pepper and seasonings. Add flour to pan and stir until combined. 
Whisk in milk. Add potatoes and frozen veggies and let simmer to thicken.
Stir in chicken until combined, then remove from heat. 
Fit 1 pie crust into the bottom of pie dish. Pour filling into pie shell.
Place second pie crust on top and trim excess. Press the two pie crusts together to seal and crimp edge using your fingers. Cut slits to let steam escape.
Place on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.

Comments