Long Overdue

peace out 2012


Since getting back into the blogging thing these past few weeks, I’ve been catching up on some old favorites and discovering new ones that are instant darlings. The one thing that I can’t get over is how clean everyone else’s blogs looks. Are the recent grads who started blogging to remember their last few months of college really paying for a blog design? Is HTML being taught in high school now? How is everyone managing a blog that looks so much nicer than mine? 

As I sat and considered this really important question, I pulled up the blog in question, Babbling Bridge, and a wave of relief washed over me. These new bloggers aren’t shelling out cash, or more savvy than I am. My blog just looks like it’s a free webpage from a child of the ‘90’s (typing that instantly brought me back to the free webpage I created in the ‘90’s dedicated to *N Sync. I wish I had a screenshot of it, but I hardly know how to do those now, let alone as a 12 year old fangirl). It doesn’t take much for a blog, any blog, even one created today, to look more put together than mine, which has the same look it had five years ago when I started it.

That’s how serious I am about my commitment to the written word. I don’t have time for all the layout and design dilemmas other bloggers have. If you’re that concerned w/ the appearance of your blog, you’re missing the point. The point of a blog is the writing, right?

That’s the point of this shoddy little blog. To rant and to vent and to recap reunions and birthdays and momentous occasions I would otherwise forget. My blog is exactly what I want it to be. 

But full disclosure here: I’m a little embarrassed of it. It’s like if your daughter tells you she wants to play the bassoon; sure, you’re proud of her no matter what, but now you’ve got to go to all these subpar concerts and pretend to be supportive that she’s a blossoming band geek. As someone who grew up to marry a band geek, I can say these things. 

Since I enjoy bloggings as a free hobby, one that doesn’t include learning HTML, I decided to poke around Blogger and see if anything was different than when I started my blog back in 2012. I wasn’t going to hold my breath, since you know, nothing can really change in five years so don’t get your hopes up but HOLY SHIT THESE NEW BLOG DESIGNS ARE LEGIT!!! WHY HAVE I NEVER CLICKED THE LAYOUT TAB ON THE SIDEBAR BEFORE NOW???

Sorry for all the yelling, but that’s how excited I was. Even though most of my posts don’t have pictures (something I obviously have to work on) and someecards and gifs still reign supreme and I don’t know how to change the font or layout or anything really, I’m pretty pumped w/ the change. Dare I say it looks like a “real” blog now? No, I wouldn’t dare, since I’m not sure what the ramifications are for offending the real bloggers and I don’t want to find out.

If you’re an old reader, thanks for sticking around this ghetto cluster for so long. If you’re a new reader I’M SO EXCITED ABOUT THAT FACT I MIGHT HAVE TO START YELLING AGAIN!!! Either way, I hope this format makes you more likely to stick around and less likely to assume I’m twelve years old and/or legally blind.

Comments

Stephanie said…
I think it looks fantastic, hooray for discovering new changes :)
Yeewuz said…
Band geek?! I was in the orchestra! We ruled the school!
Brigid said…
@Steph: thanks, lady! it was definitely time for a change.

@Brent: um, isn't that what I said in my post?
Laura Darling said…
As a former band geek, you are spot on!! :) I feel like I kind of upgraded with the new Blogger options, but got in over my head and didn't know how to set up the header correctly and now it just looks weird and I don't know how to fix it. Oh well. People are there for the writing, right??!! :)
Brigid said…
@Laura: I hear you on all of this! Why is blogger so complicated, when they know it's for people who aren't savvy to this stuff? I will always claim I'm more concerned w/ the content, if only to lessen some of the embarrassment about a crappy looking blog, lol. I hope you get the hang of it soon, and let me know if you do! Thanks for stopping by = D