Never Have I Ever, Blogger Edition


A picture that has nothing to do with my post, b/c that's how the "real" bloggers do it.

Right?

Six years ago I was an admin at a financial real estate company in Boston. Impressive, right? The really impressive thing is that I have no idea what that means; financial real estate? Is that even an industry? They did loan servicing and underwriting and financial things. How you can work at a company for two years and have no concept of what's going on is pretty embarrassing. I have a good reason for my ignorance though; you're reading it right now. 

Six years ago was 2012 and blogging was on fire. I was unabashedly using work for my own devices, reading blogs all day and toying with the idea of starting one myself. 

Me? A blogger? I could never.

I would say as I devoured blog after blog. I can't do DIY tutorials. I'm not cute and blonde and comfortable throwing "y'all" around, online or IRL (I'm still unsure about internet lingo, did I use IRL correctly?) I don't have anything of value to offer readers.

These rational doubts might have stopped a normal person, but I wasn't discouraged. I was at a job where I didn't know what was going on; why not jump into a hobby where I'd be just as clueless? Enter Babbling Bridge. Six years to the date; I knew I'd be more organized in 2018. 

Six years is a long time. I've seen a lot of bloggers come and go. It's hard to keep something up for that long, especially something as elusive as blogging. I haven't been as consistent as I'd have liked; I go through phases where I'm all in and write several posts a week, and then there are the lags when I don't log into Blogger for months at a time. This is where I make a joke about balance, am I right?!

The realization was fast and swift as soon as I started blogging six years ago: I don't have what it takes to be a "real" blogger. Interesting content, attractive pictures, helpful tutorials; those things I've nailed down (LOLs). To be a "real" blogger you need to be cool with putting it all out there and shameless self promotion and awkward photo shoots in the middle of the floral department at Trader Joe's. No shame in your game, that's just not me. I like reading all sorts of blogs, and something about the ones who are so different from me is intrinsically appealing. 

I decided it would be fun to play "never have I ever" with some popular blog trends. Every blog out there has something in the "About" section like so grab your coffee - or wine, I won't tell!- and stay awhile! so I figured you must have a drink in hand. Or are "About" sections so 2012? Whatever, just humor me. 

Never have I ever...

...painstakingly posed a picture on a white rug

...had a picture taken where I'm coyly looking away with the intent of being fashionable 

...posted a picture of a doughnut/caffeinated beverage/bouquet against a brick wall

....posted a picture of any of the above just to show off my manicure

...enjoyed watching The Bachelor/Bachelorette and/or reading recaps 

...posed for and described an OOTD (I didn't even know this stood for outfit of the day until embarrassingly recently)

...been awkward in a sunflower field/pumpkin patch/Christmas tree farm for the sake of that perfect photo

...made Brent someone wait to eat/drink something so I could photograph it to death (and still have no good pictures of anything) 

...owned a shirt/coffee mug/home decor item with a cutesy slogan like "on fleek" 

...been knowledgeable about blogging dialect; fleek must be a good thing, but I'm not 100% sure

...dropped hundreds of dollars at Target on a whim (mostly on throw pillows)

...participated in a giveaway or a linkup 

...lied to myself about my free blogger template being just as good as "those real blogs" 

Good thing it's 5 o'clock somewhere, because I just drank A LOT of wine. Check out my Instagram to see how I slay all day: brigibaby. Whoa, using the lingo correctly and self promotion? I might become a "real" blogger after all. 

Comments

Yeewuz said…
You linked to your first ever post but you didn't link to your Instagram? 6 years down the drain...

https://www.instagram.com/brigibaby/