Another Anniversary Post

this was supposed to be one of those, snuggle up and look blissfully content pictures, but instead it's me leaning in to tell Brent something super important, probably a reminder that the Doritos are in the limo and it's almost time for post-wedding drinks

It's hard to believe that today marks four years married. I'd love to go back four years (and 15 pounds); I'll be a bystander this time around and take it all in, everything I missed on the actual day. Because even though so much of the advice brides are given is crap (the chicken dance and the electric slide belong on the do not play list, no matter what your MIL says), when people advise you to take everything in b/c the wedding day goes by too fast, it's true. 

I wish I could watch myself going through my wedding day again; the excitement of waking up after a fitful night of sleep in my childhood bedroom, laughing with my mom and sisters while we got our hair and makeup done, walking down the aisle and seeing Brent for the first time, and especially the party that was our pictures and reception. Is that totally self-involved and too much to ask for? Yes, absolutely. 

Four years isn't that long, but it's respectable. No longer newlyweds, but nowhere near the wise old-timers, we fall into a different category; one where no one's asking our advice (I offer it anyway) but we're still seen as old and boring. Or maybe our routine of dinner and Netflix instead of Netflix and chill is making us old and boring.

Real talk, though: marriage is hard and I'm damn proud of us for making it four years. Sorry, I just did that thing where I sound arrogant and douchey; marriage is hard, but for you non-marrieds that are rolling your eyes at me, I'm not trying to be exclusive here. Relationships are hard. I'm not going to be that girl who's all, until you have kids you don't understand, like somehow having sex and pushing out a watermelon somehow makes you a child rearing expert. 

You don't have to be married to know relationships are hard. I think pretty highly of myself and know there are times I'm no peach. I'm moody and irritable and stubborn AF. Don't even get me started on Brent's flaws...

Yet we made it, four years the wiser. Future brides and grooms and newlyweds alike, if I could offer you only one tip for the future?

Sunscreen would be it.  

Seriously, have you seen my complexion? Trust me on the sunscreen. 

Comments

Yeewuz said…
It's not "dinner and Netflix", it's "Netflix and fill (our bellies)"
Brigid said…
haha, here's their next ad campaign!