New Month, Who Dis?

Public opinion seems to think that January has overstayed its welcome. All over social media people are trumpeting the first 5 months of 2019 have been great jk it's still January. I guess I'm the odd one out, since I feel like this month has flown. Mostly due in part that we were planning a vacation and had a warm winter getaway to look forward to.

If you've never been to Chicago in January, I assure you, it's not to be missed. My sister decided that our niece needed to be baptized on the eve of the polar vortex and we barely made it out before it turned into #Chiberia. Being an aunt has really changed me; old Brig would have been like, you want me to fly into O'Hare? In January? Not as a layover, but as the destination? New Brig is like, it's going to be 5 degrees tommorow! Warm enough to tour Navy Pier and Millenium Park! I can't document how adorable Abigail is b/c of Maureen's social media policy (which I definitely understand, even if it does cramp my Cool Aunt vibes) but believe me when I say, entirely unbiased, how perfect she is. The cutest pumpkin in the patch, we like to say, as she was born on Halloween. An absolute doll.

I wouldnt't be a blogger if I didn't have a recap of our trip and all the pictures to make you jealous of the midwest in the dead of winter. Rest assured, my take on the Navy Pier ball pit and best happy hour spot in Chicago is soon to come (if I can get my shit together and turn off Netflix).

The last day of January has me thinking about a new month, a blank slate, a fresh start for all the things I want my February to be. I still haven't hammered out exactly what I want my 2019 resolutions to look like, but I think setting small, reasonable goals for a new month is a good start.

February 2019 Goals

-Meatless Monday/Wednesday
Brent and I just watched "Before the Flood" on Netflix. If you're looking to get seriously disheartened about the state of the world, pull it up. Leonardo DiCaprio travels the world to see the first-hand devastation humans have dealt to Earth, learn what other countires are doing to help reverse climate change, and basically terrify and depress all viewers. I was really upset after watching, mainly b/c it all seemed so hopeless, too little, too late. Then I remembered the part about the resources that go into raising and slaughtering cattle are huge contributors to climate change and if everyone cut back their meat intake, even slightly, it would have a huge positive impact. Hopefully, two days a week will evolve into even more meat-free meals, but for now, I'm happy to start small.

-Read 8 books
I read 11 books in January and am for sure tooting my own horn about it. Realistically, I can't sustain that pace, but if I average 8 books a month it should keep me on track with my 2019 reading goals.

-No snacking at work
We make our own french fries at the restaurant; thick, hand cut beauties that sit around on sheet trays and beg to be eaten. Do you know how much willpower it takes to not shove french fries, hot out of the fryer, in your mouth all day? A fuck-ton, that's how much. Then my willpower is zapped and I have to eat the cake scraps when I'm layering cakes, plus the brownie scraps when I trim the edges. If I can stick to my breakfast and lunch and avoid these temptations when I'm at work, I could probably loose like 10 pounds a week. We shall see.

I love the start of a fresh month, when we can promise ourselves these things and almost belive them. February has a way of making a fool out of me, and it's not just the post-Valentine's candy sales.  

Comments