Five For Friday: New Home Edition


Remember back in the good old days of blogging, when it was all about themed posts? Motivation Monday and Wishlist Wednesday and Friday Favorites; the blogging days of yore were clearly fond of alteration. I think it's time for a comeback, so I'm here today with Five For Friday; five things I'm currently obsessed with in our new home. 

A move is blogging gold, and I intend to milk it for a while; home tours, DIY projects, new neighborhood hot spots. Although a home tour post would be a wrap in about three pictures, and we don't have any DIY on the horizon, so I might have to get creative. How-To Tuesdays, where I show how to best utilize dormer ceilings so your 6'1 husband isn't constantly finding himself wedged between you and the wall (spoiler: he is). Flights on Friday, when I talk about upcoming beer trends and photograph them on the three flights of stairs we truck up and down on the reg. I might need to brainstorm this a little more, but something good is simmering.

Anywho, here's what I'm absolutely loving so far about the new digs: 

1) Easy access laundry
We've been fortunate w/ in-unit laundry most of our adult lives, but for the last few years that laundry was in the basement. I grew up hauling laundry to and from the basement, so you think I'd be accustomed to it; somehow it's still a pain in the neck and the reason I let my hamper pile up for weeks and constantly stuff our washer to maximum capacity, hoping for the best. Our laundry room is now right off the living room and I'm giddy w/ possibility. Will I actually do laundry more often? Who knows, but there's the possibility I might.  

2) New windows
We had a beautiful bay window in the living room at our old place, but it didn't open. The windows that did open were grimy with dirt and full of holes in the screen that meant anytime you opened the window, you best be on full alert for the beetles, ants and flies that were coming to roost. Our windows now are sparkling clean and the fresh spring breezes they allow are absolutely delightful. 

3) Gas stove
Do I really need to elaborate on this? No, but I will anyway. Now we're cooking w/ gas! Seeing how that's a phrase my sisters and I constantly abuse, it's only fitting that at the ripe old age of 32 I'm finally blessed w/ a gas stove. I've practically been a caveman up until now.

4) Proximity to Cats
At the old house, the cats had their living area and we had ours. We mingled when we were home, but for the most part, they kept to their part of the house. Since our new house is so much smaller and the look of closed doors would eat into that space, we decided to give the cats free reign. We close our bedroom door at night, since they like to go on an all-out frenzy around 2am, but other than that, it's real up close and personal. 

5) Fire escape
Confession time: I've always wanted to live in a building w/ a fire escape. Hollywood makes them seem so cool. All fun summer nights and cosmopolitan jungle, a fire escape has always eluded my big city living fantasies. Until now. Guys, we have a fire escape! It's about to be like an episode of Friends up in here. Fortunately, ours is up to code, so we won't end up dangling Ross and Joey style if we ever find ourselves up all night and trapped on the roof.

Comments

Yeewuz said…
Wouldn't cavemen be more impressed by an electric stove than gas? Just saying :P