Philly Bound

looks like my raincoat will probably be around for another Philly trip

Doughnuts and early dismissals might just be one of the best starts to a long holiday weekend. Not having to drive anywhere in hellish holiday weekend traffic is also a plus. We're going down to Philly tomorrow for the weekend, but since Amtrak rates were only slightly cheaper than Jet Blue, we're flying. Instead of spending 6 hours on a train, we'll be spending 6 hours at the airport for our 90 minute flight. 

Just kidding. We'll probably be at the airport longer than that. What can I say, I'm a flight worrier. Airports do NOT bring out the best side of me; just ask Brent when he wonders aloud why we have to stand as soon as they start boarding first class. It's not my finest moment. 

Airports aside, I'm beyond excited for our trip. Philly reminds me a lot of Boston, all history and small brick roads and easy walkability. A weekend with two of my sisters doesn't hurt, either. The last time the four of us hung out, two of us barely made it home and someone woke up w/ a black eye, so Brent has already asked me not to bail early and keep an eye on him. I told him I'd try my best, but after a day spent eating through Reading Terminal and drinking through Old City he should probably lower his expectations. 

There's a pretty high chance of thunderstorms all weekend, but we won't let that ruin our fun. Besides fireworks, which are in full effect through October anyway, there's really nothing that rain should throw a wrench in (except surge pricing for Uber). The Franklin Institute and U.S. Mint are indoor attractions, perfect for rainy weather and the hangover headache I might be nursing. 

I'm going to see Joshua Becker tonight and I hope his minimalism words stay w/ me through packing tomorrow. Why do I always pack a third of my wardrobe whenever I go somewhere? I end up wearing the same thing I wear at home, only now my "nice" clothes are crumpled up at the bottom of a suitcase instead of hanging in my closet. 

Every time I pack for a trip, whether it's a weekend away or a longer excursion, I promise myself that I'm not going to overpack this time. And then I nag Brent b/c he said I could stash a "few" things in his bag. And then I ask Brent if he can carry my bag b/c it's kinda heavy. And then I remind Brent that he promised through sickness and health and this is my sickness.

Comments

Yeewuz said…
The last time the four of us hung out, two of us barely made it home and someone woke up w/ a black eye, so Brent has already asked me not to bail early and keep an eye on him.

Thanks for keeping this PG.