Cold November Rain and Warm Cakey Brownies

if you think I had enough self-control to take a picture of these brownies, think again. here's an adorable picture of my cats pretending to like each other. 

It's been four straight days of dreary gray mist here in Boston. I know I shouldn't complain b/c at least it's not snow....but I'mma complain. This cold November rain needs to let up before I put on approximately 200 pounds of winter bod. I've made brownies two nights this week and it's only Wednesday. The fact that I'm out of cocoa powder is the only small comfort I have in knowing that I won't (ie: can't) make them again. 

I was pouring the batter into the pan and went to break up a cocoa powder clump and the whole operation nearly ended. As I licked that cocoa powder batter off of my finger I thought, "why am I spending the next hour baking and cooling these bitches when I could just eat this glorious chocolate sludge right now?" Then Brent walked in the kitchen and the look of disgust on his face warned me I can't give in to my brownie batter desires 24/7. 

It's not Thanksgiving yet, so I can't even blame the holidays for this gnarley eating. I'll cruise this wave through January 1st, lie to myself that I'll cut the shit come 2020, and then hibernate through April. Nothing to see here.

Anyway, these brownies. 

No crispy corners and crinkly tops here; these are cakey brownies. In the cakey v. fudgey brownie debate, I don't have a side. I won't say no to a brownie, period. I fully believe that both have their merits. 

If you're looking for a super dense piece of chocolate akin to fudge, though, this ain't it. This recipe has baking powder, so these brownies are getting a little lift. It's also a super easy recipe that you can throw together in about ten minutes. It's about as easy as a box mix, which is why I've been making it on the reg this week. No chocolate to melt, just sift in your cocoa powder and you're good to go. Or skip the sifting; it gives you a reason to stick your fingers in the batter. 

Better-than-the-Box Brownies

Ingredients:
9 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup AP flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Instructions:
-Preheat oven to 350
-Melt butter in microwave in 30 second increments
-Add sugar, eggs and vanilla and whisk smooth
-Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into butter mixture
-Whisk to combine; add chocolate chips if using
-Pour into sprayed baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes, turning halfway through 
-Brownies are done when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean; let cool completely

Comments

Sarah said…
I have all of these ingredients, except the optional chocolate chips. This may not be good... I would probably eat 3/4 of the batter and then bake the rest when I felt full. I bet I would feel ready for more by the time they came out of the oven. 😀