Procrastinating When You Have No Excuse

the window my dough is currently sitting in

I'm sitting at the kitchen table watching a cute little form bask in the sunshine streaming through the window. One of my cats, you might assume? Nope. It's a bowl of dough wrapped in a kitchen towel. I kicked the cats out of their favorite spot to snooze so my dough can proof in the sun. This selfishness is reason number 511 why I will never have kids.

I digress. 

I'm making a sourdough, guys! From a starter I made last week! This is exciting new territory. Even though I spent years in a kitchen as a pastry cook, I've never made bread not using yeast. I'm not talking about quickies like banana bread and Irish soda bread; I'm talking about artisanal beauties like focaccia and brioche. Doughs I'm more than familiar with, but never without the help of yeast. Maybe I'll post a recipe and tutorial when this sourdough comes out of the oven a warm success story. Maybe it won't rise at all and I wasted my remaining flour and sanity by singing and feeding my starter every morning. 

TBD.

The point of this post wasn't a sourdough expose. I wanted to make a list of things I'm always putting off, the things we all drag our heels on, but that are actually not bad once you just do them. This is by no means an exhaustive list, since I came up with in five minutes ago, and I'll inevitably remember ten more things after I publish it, but the sentiment is there.

Filing taxes
Brent and I finally filed our taxes last week. We usually do it sometime in March, but succumbed to the pull of procrastination after hearing that the deadline has been extended through July. There was no reason not to file, we were just being lazy. Filing your taxes is boring AF, but it's not hard. I'll take spending an hour typing my five W2's (this is only a slight exaggeration) into Turbo Tax over raking leaves or shoveling snow or cleaning the bathtub.

Cleaning make-up brushes
I have uneven skin tone (which I've always assumed is rosacia, and should probably be using this time to look into it, but it's not like I'll be able to schedule a dermatologists appointment, so I'm going to keep putting it off) and typically wear foundation to work. Haven't been doing that in over a month, but when I looked at my forgotten makeup brushes the other day, I realized I should probably clean them. This task takes less than five minutes, so I don't know why in my head it was like a whole Saturday morning. 

Changing the duvet cover
We have two duvet covers and normally change them out twice a year. I'm not exaggerating here, so don't come at me about how gross I am; I'm fully aware. I change the sheets regularly, and that's what really counts (right?) The main reason the duvet cover gets changed so infrequently is b/c it's a two-person job and every time I suggest it, Brent says we'll do it "next weekend." Yes, I'm absolutely blaming Brent for this. We did it last weekend and it took maybe five minutes. Can't wait to do it again over the holidays. 

Organizing that pile
We all have one. Mine is a pile of mail - cards, stationary, account statements. Clutter begets clutter, so instead of leaving it on the coffee table, I stash it in my nightstand. It takes ten minutes to go through and appropriately shred, recycle or file. Shredding of course means ripping it in half and hoping for the best and filing means putting in a folder flagged as sentimental, medical or financial. It's a pretty extensive system. I did this last week and it took about fifteen minutes. 

Those chores
For me, it's vacuuming the stairs. I don't mind vacuuming, but I hate having to do the stairs. It doesn't need to be done daily, but I'd like to do it regularly on my Saturday morning clean. Except I'm always lying to myself, like, oh, I did it last week. It doesn't take long, it's just annoying lugging the vacuum up and down the stairs. 

Cleaning the vacuum filter
While we're on the subject of vacuuming, I actually did this one last week. I used to be really good about doing this every month, but since we moved, I've probably done it twice. It supposed to be cleaned monthly and we've lived here for a year, so....yeah. Since I cleaned the filter and assembled the vacuum, it makes a sound like it's dying every time I use it. 

What's on your list that you keep putting off?

Comments