Final Thoughts on 2020


Ah, the last day of 2020. A little overdue, but we made it nonetheless. To be honest, 2020, the shitshow that it was, seemed to fly by. Maybe that's b/c there are so many memories I can look back on with such clarity. I remember the gorgeous 60+ degree weekend in January when Brent and I explored the city and figured this weather must be a good omen of the year to come (LOL). I remember where I was when I heard Boston was canceling the St. Patrick's day parade and that things might be more serious than I thought. I remember my last day at the office and how I treated myself to an Uber b/c I had to lug my laptop home. Only my laptop though, no need to bring my water bottle or plants since we'll be back in two weeks (LOL!!!) (oh wait, I don't have any plants).

As we're coming to the end of 2020, I love seeing all the hope for the new year. Instead of the typical cheesy new year sentiment on my feed, I'm seeing a lot more kickassery (is that even a word?) Everyone posting about what a dumpster fire this year was, sure, but how they came out of it with more resilience, patience and a strength they didn't even know they had. Yeah, it's still cheesy, but after this year, I am so here for cheesy. 

I couldn't remember if I made any resolutions last year and a search on my blog proves I was either crazy ambitious or crazy drunk when I made them (a cooking class with Brent? I've never even thought about this). Looking at my list from last year annoys me, but not just because I'm left with that gnawing feeling you have when you don't achieve your goal. I'm annoyed b/c some of these aren't even me. They're for who I think I should be. I think I need to know about wine. I think I need to be a vegetarian. I think I need a gratitude list. Brigid, listen to me closely: you don't like wine, and that's okay. You like meat, and that's okay (but you can stand to eat less and pay attention more to where it comes from). You are becoming more appreciative of your blessings and this is true whether you say thank you in your head or on paper.

Of course I have goals for 2021, I'd be lying if I said I didn't. Reading goals, content goals, food goals. I know these are very generic and all the resolution experts say you need specific goals to make them happen, but I'm going to take my chances. What good are hyper-specific goals if you can't even remember you made them (see my list from last year)? 

Tonight, Brent and I have an early dinner reservation at one of our favorite local breweries. We might grab a drink somewhere after, but whatever we do, we'll be home by 10pm b/c of the city's curfew. I have no intention of staying up until midnight. I don't need to see any more of 2020.

I hope you have a safe and happy new year. Whether you made resolutions or not, a new year is a new start; cheers to the adventure and hope it brings.

Comments

Anne said…
Oh, so interesting how your goals were "I should be" focused last year, rather than "I want to be". It really made me think when I read that...because it's really SO true.

External forces seem to weigh on me, too, and it's really hard when I feel like I'm not measuring up. (To what, is another question... often the "standards" I identify are really ones that I come up with.) It makes me wonder if my main goal for 2021 should be, "Be Me". Hmm...

Brigid said…
@Anne, I'm so glad you can relate! It is often standards that are merely self-imposed, and they feel even more disappointing when we don't meet them. If you make "Be yourself" a goal for 2021, or have other ones, I wish you luck with it. 2021 is already looking grim, so I hope it's uphill from here!