Creamy, Dreamy Tomato Soup

Annnnnnd we’re here. 2015. Brand new year. Same old me. So it’s only fitting my first post of the new year involves food. People don’t change. And certainly not because of a silly reason like changing the calendar on your fridge. Speaking of calendars, I have the cutest one for 2015. I might just leave it on August year round b/c it’s the most adorable sea lion/seal baby picture. Don’t think we didn’t have March on display for more than 31 days last year b/c of the trumpeting elephant prancing around that month. 

As adorable as these animal calendars are, that’s not on the agenda today. Today….let’s talk soup. Rich, creamy, hearty soup. Mmmmm, just thinking of that hearty bowl, some crumbled crackers, maybe some cheese sprinkled on top; dare I say it’s enough to wish away the warm days of summer? Okay, probably not. But when you’re stuck in January, this soup is about the best way to make the best of it (besides drinking away the cold, which also works). It’s been cold and wet here in Boston this weekend, so I figured a soup like this was in order. Not to mention the gallon of milk I had in the fridge about to expire. 

I scrolled Pinterest but couldn’t find any recipes I was dying to make. Some were too complicated. Some took too long to make. Some required a trip to the supermarket. Boo to all of the above. I wanted a soup w/ items I had on hand that could be made w/out slow cooking all day. Read: I could whip it up quick and be eating in no time. Enter: this creamy, dreamy tomato soup. 

Homemade Tomato Soup
Adapted from here
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients

28oz can crushed tomatoes
2 chicken bouillion cubes/packets
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
4 cups milk (I used 2%)
1 cup half and half
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Instructions

Pour crushed tomatoes and seasonings in large pot. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic during last 5 minutes of simmering. Optional: sauté your garlic in butter before adding it to the tomatoes. 

Make a basic roux: Melt the butter in a separate sauce pan. Add flour and stir together. Cook over medium heat for a minute; gradually add milk. Whisk to make sure there are no lumps. Continue cooking until thickened.

Add the roux to the tomato mixture. Whisk to combine.

Add half and half and cream. Simmer until desired thickness, whisking occasionally.

Serve warm (preferably w/ grilled cheese).


Comments