Much Obliged

I blame my parents. They’re the ones who drilled the whole “I didn’t raise a quitter” and “finish what you start” mentality into my sisters and me. For the most part, it’s great. Brent doesn’t come home to half cleaned closets and semi organized kitchen drawers; if I take on a project, I’m going to finish it, usually all in one go. It’s with the more trivial matters that it gets me in trouble. 

To this day, I hate not finishing a book I start. I don’t know why, but it really weighs on me. Oh wait, I know exactly why; thanks, mom and dad. I’ve gotten better at it than I used to be. I used to trudge through books I stopped being interested in immediately after I realized the riveting book jacket that drew me in was all lies. Just 400 more pages, I’d tell myself. You’re almost there

I’m much more likely than to finish a book halfheartedly and then scour GoodReads and see how many other readers disliked it as much as I did than I am to just close the book and be done w/ it. There’s so many books I want to read and can’t wait to dive into, but somehow the pull of the boring, half finished book is too strong. 

It’s gotten to be that way w/ television shows, too. I just finished the latest season of House of Cards and almost wept w/ relief when I saw the recommendation at the end wasn’t the next episode, but a new series suggestion since I was finished. Did anyone else almost fall asleep for that entire season? Honestly, that show stopped doing it for me after season two, yet here I am, three seasons later, all caught up. The first two season were really good and the third season was like an Ambien. I didn’t get the sudden change of pace and stuck it out and hoped season four would deliver. Season four was better, but season five was a real disappointment, so I’m done. Until season six comes out and I’m like, I’ll just give it a shot, the premeire should be good at least, and before I know it I want to last thirteen house of my life back. 

I hate to say it b/c Mindy Kaling is my homegirl, but I feel that way about The Mindy Project, too. I’m kind of forcing myself to get caught up for the final season, but I’m not even that interested. It seems like some of the characters are disposable, and I don’t want to get interested in someone that’s not going to be around; similarly, some of the characters they’ve brought on for the long haul I straight out don’t like. It all went downhill for me after she had the baby, so I’ll blame Leo for my lack of interest. 

Where it really gets me into trouble is food; I’ll be full to the point of stomachaches and nausea but I’m not quitting on this pint of ice cream. My parents would be so proud.


Comments