Why My January Spending Freeze Was a Flop

A January spending freeze wasn’t one of my resolutions, but I’m always up for a challenge and didn’t think it would be that hard.

What I learned from this failed experiment is that I’m rarely up for a challenge and was blatantly ignorant to the amount of money I throw away. 

I don’t actually throw away money. But I’m definitely guilty of falling for the “good deal trap.” You know when you’re at a store and you see something and it’s only insert-dollar-amount-here? And you don’t even need it but at that price, maybe you do?

We’re not huge moviegoers, but I really wanted to see The Greatest Showman in theaters. It was so worth it; I can’t say enough good things about this movie. It’s beautiful and magical and the most fun I’ve had at the theater in a long time. Zac Efron is back where he should be, singing and dancing his way into my heart.

Anyway, I went w/ my sister and we had time to kill, so we went into the Paper Store, lured in by the 75% Off sale signs plastered to the windows. I was only planning to browse until I saw this:


Before you think I have the mentality of a five year old, tricked by bright colors and fanciful ideas, let me explain: yes, those things are true. But, but, I was in the market for a water bottle like this. Slim enough to fit into the cup holder in the car, w/ a straw that folds up and is easy to grab and sip when I’m driving. I’m no longer groping on the floor of the car for my giant Nalgene, fumbling to unscrew the top and gulp down water, spilling half the water on myself in the process. Team Nalgene for life, but this struggle was too real. 
Cost: $3 

The Paper Store also sells hats and gloves and scarves, and before you scoff at any fool buying cold weather gear from a store that sells overpriced greeting cards, let me say: they are the quality you’d expect from a store that sells overpriced greeting cards. That being said, I needed a new pair of driving gloves, b/c I was using my running gloves and I only like to use my running gear when I’m actually running since that shit is expensive and I don’t like to wear it out. 
Cost: $5

After the Paper Store we went to Old Navy, and the sale rack was calling my name. I bought new pajamas and used the “one in, one out” policy to ditch my tired old pajama bottoms. 
Cost: $8 

Brent and I were at Bed, Bath and Beyond on Sunday b/c I need storage containers to organize the kitchen cupboards, and I stumbled into the 90% off calendar section. I love calendars and planners; something about a blank page and a fresh start and a whole slew of possibility. I haven’t had a planner since culinary school, but seeing them sitting there, in all their clearance glory, I thought it can’t hurt to look.

Brent found me ten minutes later w/ a crazed look in my eye, trying to determine the one I really needed. He lost interest pretty quickly when I held up several for comparison, and told me he needed to go get in line before it got too long. After a raging internal debate, I decided on this one:

not the cover for the one linked, but the inside layout is the same

Plenty of room to scribble my notes and reminders, and all of the inspirational quotes and stickers to satisfy my junior high self. 
Cost: $3

Total cost: $19

That doesn’t count the movie tickets, or the storage containers that we also bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Oops. 

I’m not going to sweat twenty bucks here and there. But I can see the point of a spending freeze. While it didn’t really limit my spending so far this month, it’s made me more aware of how I spend money (entirely in the clearance section). 

A spur of the moment spending freeze is destined to end in failure, but I bet I could do one if I set my mind to it. Maybe later in the year; I’ll have to check my planner and see what's available.

Comments