So Long, Sweets

Lent again? It seems like only yesterday I was whining about not being able to eat chocolate. I mean, I whine about that a lot b/c it’s a constant struggle to not stuff my face, but when I whine during Lent, it’s actually merited.

Last year, I gave up chocolate and cheese. I don’t know what I was thinking. Everything I eat has cheese in it; this is hardly an exaggeration. Pizza. Burritos. Grilled cheese. Mac n’ cheese; no, no, no, and please - don’t even say the words. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. On Easter, I probably stuffed my face with gross combinations like chocolate bunnies stuffed with cheddar. Never again.

This year, I’m done with sweets. For 40 days, I’ll nix the chocolate, but this year, I wanted to take it a step further. Chocolate has been my go-to Lent offering since I was a child. Every year, my sisters and I would give it up and our house would be a miserable place for 40 days as we all went through withdrawal. I’d give up chocolate, but turn to vanilla shakes or Twinkies to get my sugar fix. Those sugar cookies at the supermarket smeared with thick frosting and sprinkles were my absolute favorite; don’t act like you haven’t polished off a carton of those in a moment of weakness.

I’m done with sugar for the next 40 days. Done with what I can control, at least. I considered giving up all sugar, but knew that would be nearly impossible to go into cold-turkey like this. So I’m cutting back. No more roaming the office to snack on the sweets around every corner, no more dessert after dinner, no more mindlessly popping Hershey kisses while watching TV. Not gonna lie, I’d like to see some results on the scale; but I’m more hopeful that this is a step in the right direction. I eat WAY too much sugar. It’s hard to avoid. So I’m going to start with the obvious cutbacks; candy, cookies, brownies, etc. I hope my sweet-tooth will adjust accordingly. If not, it's going to be a miserable 40 days (for me, and everyone who has to listen to me whine; sorry B).

Comments