I'm Not Cut Out For This

Confession: I’ve kind of fallen off the cooking wagon. I’m burned out (like my attempt at kitchen humor?) I don’t think I cooked one thing this week. Unless you count the Valentine’s cake I whipped up on Friday. Straight out of the box. Take a gander and see if you would even count that a success. 

B's mom gave me a heart cake mold for Valentine's Day. The outcome was less of a cake and more like a few  bereft hearts that I tried to arrange prettily. 

I don’t know what's happened to me lately. B’s family came down for dinner last weekend and I was in full force. I planned a great menu, spent my Friday at the supermarket and then in the kitchen prepping ingredients, and was excited to introduce some new dishes. 

Spinach and artichoke dip. Beef stew. Banana peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. And the tour de force: Oreo's spread w/ peanut butter and dipped in brownie batter. 
I. Know

I was immensely proud of the dip (and too caught up in our game of Apples to Apples after dinner to take any dessert pictures). 


This week there were a lot of tortilla chips (thanks, two-for-$5 SuperBowl Sunday deals) and boxed mac n’ cheese. And may I just say that Kraft’s homemade gourmet version is nothing more than their original blue box version and Velveeta all in one. There’s nothing gourmet about watery cheese sauce and stale prepackaged breadcrumbs. I want my three dollars back. 

Superstorm Nemo put the kibosh on my weekend supermarket run, pretty much guaranteeing that I won’t be trying any new recipes. Looks like hot pockets and ramen this week. I know B’s on board w/ it. How did I end up w/ a guy who doesn't like anything I make such an agreeable boo?

Comments