Pumpkin Pie Smoothie


Brent’s in California for work this week. It sounds so sophisticated to say that; my husband is out of town for business, in business meetings all day, presenting on business things, eating business lunches, talking business. Business, ya know? Clearly, I don’t. As I was typing that sentence I was thinking of Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion when they were pretending to be business executives and looked the part but when they opened their mouths, the jig was up. 

I told myself I was going to do a mini cleanse while he was out of town and only drink green smoothies the whole time. That plan was shot to shit Tuesday at work when I saw there was apple strudel left over from a dinner party we had the night before. 

Okay, apple strudel for breakfast and then smoothies for the next three days. 

Apple strudel for breakfast and focaccia for lunch and then smoothies for the next three days. 

Apple strudel for breakfast and…you see where this is going. 

I have Wednesdays off and was home all day yesterday thinking about all the food in the house. Dumplings and chicken nuggets and pierogis; all the staples of any well stocked freezer. After a lunch of dumplings and Hershey’s kisses, I decided that dinner would be a smoothie. Yes, for dinner I would make myself a smoothie loaded w/ spinach and avocado and coconut water and bananas and berries. I patted myself on the back mid-Hershey kiss for my foresight and healthy attitude.

Dinnertime rolled around and I realized two things: I didn’t have most of the ingredients for my green power smoothie and I was in no mood for such smoothie, anyway. As I stood in front of the fridge I spied some pumpkin leftover from the pumpkin oatmeal cookies I made last week (courtesy of Sally, obv). A pumpkin smoothie? Interesting. That’s something I could get the blender out for. 

I threw in whatever looked like it would be tasty. Greek yogurt that’s probably expired? Get in there. Frozen bananas? Why not. I wasn’t worried about the result b/c I knew I had a frozen pizza w/ my name on it if things went south. My first sip confirmed I missed my calling as a smoothie barista (is that a thing?) The pumpkin smoothie was delish. It was nice and cold b/c of the frozen banana. It was thick and creamy from the pumpkin and Greek yogurt. The cinnamon and vanilla added just the right amount of sweetness. It was really tasty and satisfying and I wish I had more pumpkin left so I could whip one up right now.

I don’t know the exact measurements, but I’ve estimated them as best as possible. It’s not pumpkin pie in a glass, but you can add more spices/vanilla/pumpkin if that’s your end game. Substitute cream for almond milk. Garnish w/ whipped cream. As you can see, I have an addiction to cream and can’t keep it in the house for this very reason. But if you’re a responsible adult who can manage their cream intake, I’d throw it in. It’s almost winter, time to start bulking up for the cold. 

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

Ingredients:
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 banana
½ cup Greek yogurt
2/3 cup milk (I used almond milk; see above where I drool over how cream would taste)
Splash of vanilla extract
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg 
Ice, optional 

Instructions:
Blend all ingredients in blender. Add more milk to desired consistency. Add ice if you prefer your smoothies chilled. Sip and remind yourself that Thanksgiving is only 35 days away.

Comments