Post Mortem Microwave

When Brent and I arrived home after a long weekend away last month, we were in for a treat. Both our microwave and our oven had stopped working. Our oven was blank and unreadable, no longer displaying the time which I had grown to rely on. The microwave was trickier; it appeared fine, but when my leftover chili was still cold after almost five minutes of microwaving, I declared the magnetron must be broken. 

Which, of course, means that when the oven repair guy was here I begged him to take a look at our microwave and he declared the magnetron was broken. He was from Whirlpool and the microwave is GE, so it wasn’t technically his wheelhouse. 

Where’s Jack Donaghy when we need him? Is it too late to order a fun cooker? 

Surprisingly, the busted microwave didn’t really affect us. Except for Brent, who kept trying to make microwave nachos, his stand by lunch when I’m at work on Saturdays, we were getting along fine w/out it. Using the oven and stovetop to heat things up isn’t that big of a deal. I figured we had become people who don’t use a microwave, bosom buddies w/ the vegans at parties who smile condescendingly and find ten ways to bring it up in conversation. 

Imagine my surprise when I came home from work on Monday to find this. 

Putting his day off to good use, Brent was leaning against the counter smugly, pretty pleased w/ his handiwork.

Me: So….I guess you took out the microwave?
Brent: Yeah. Didn’t take me all that long.
Me: So….I guess we’re getting a new microwave?
Brent: Well, yeah, we can’t just NOT have a microwave.
Me: I thought we were getting along fine w/out it.
Brent: I thought you’d be pleased.
Me: Because you ripped a giant hole in the kitchen?
Brent: Because now we can have microwave popcorn again.

Touché.

Technically, though, we can’t have microwave anything until we get a new microwave. We ordered one last night and Brent’s going to install in Saturday. Hopefully when I come home from work on Saturday, the giant hole will be gone and Brent will be standing smugly against the counters again. With a big bowl of microwave popcorn.

Comments

Yeewuz said…
I didn't put that hole in the wall!
Stephanie said…
John does that too, gets very proud of his half finished projects. He excels at the demo part, not the follow up...fingers crossed you get the new one soon!
Brigid said…
@Brent: you totally redeemed yourself for putting that hole in the wall ; )

@Steph: demo and installation are dunzo! He picked up the microwave and installed it last night (I was honestly so impressed). I half expected to wake up this morning to see it fallen to its death, but its hanging in there. haha, sorry I couldn't help myself