A Halloween to Remember


Happy Wednesday! Between today being Halloween, my future niece's possible birthday, and the Red Sox World Series Parade, I don't know what I'm most excited about.

To be honest, I'm actually most excited for tomorrow when my niece (fingers crossed!) will finally be here and Halloween candy will be half priced.

After the Sox clinched the win over the Dodgers Sunday night and Brent and I were whooping it up around the house and scaring the cats, we took some guesses as to when the parade wold be. If it was Wednesday, I could make it into the city to see it on my day off. When they confirmed it would indeed be Wednesday, I entertained that idea for about .05 seconds before realizing that I don't want to be anywhere near Boston today. 

Red Sox revelers + Halloween bar crawlers = shitshow of epic proportions

Boston is a city of sports championships, but winning the world series is always the sweetest, in my opinion. The Sox/Yankees rivalry runs deep and anytime we can stick it to them is icing on the cake.

As someone who isn't originally from Boston, I feel a little phony when I talk about Boston sports, but as someone who has lived in the Boston area for about 9 years and who is married to a die hard Boston sports fan, I think I'm good. Since I don't know what the hell I'm talking about most of the time anyway, I don't feel too much like a fraud when I'm going on about current sports heroes Larry Bird and Big Papi. 

Now that we're this crazy talented Titletown (the medias word, not mine), we become more of a target. It's obnoxious when people say things like Red Sox fans are the world people in the world or that the Patriots are cheaters. Since I'm not hugely invested in the sports scene it usually just rolls off my back, but having pride in the city I've loved for so long makes comments like these prickle. They hate us cuz they ain't us, as the old proverb is written.

The downside about having all these championships is that it just continues to drive up ticket prices to games that are already ridiculously priced. I go to one or two Sox games a year now that we've moved out of the city, but the distance is only half the reason; the insanely priced tickets are the other half. My sisters and I were in Chicago recently and looked into going to a Cubs game and I did a triple take when I saw the ticket prices. We all ended up going to the game for under $80. If that sounds normal to you, just under $20 per ticket, consider yourself lucky. Sox tickets start at like $60 if you want to sit anywhere decent. I'm usually out in the centerfield grandstand, baking in the sun with no back on my seat, because I'd rather pay less for the ticket and spend my money on snacks. And by snacks I mean beer, because you don't go to an MLB game to sit in a crowded, uncomfortable seat for 9 innings without alcohol.

Between my niece hopefully being born today and the Red Sox taking their victory lap around the city, Halloween is taking a backseat. Tomorrow, though, I'll have Halloween spirit in spades when I'm eating all the Reese's pumpkins for the price of one.

Comments

Yeewuz said…
Can you believe you've seen 2 World Series wins, 2 Super Bowl wins & a Stanley Cup win since moving here? I'm going to take some credit ;)
Brigid said…
you would make this about you = P