Five Habits of A Highly Successful Person

one step closer to the World Series after last night's win over the Yankees 

Having a day off in the middle of the week is weird. It’s a nice way to break up the week, but it can interfere with typical weekend plans. Since I work Saturdays, Brent and I like to have Sundays for us; I’d much rather host friends or go out on Saturday night, even after working all day, just to free up Sunday. Since I like Sundays to be pretty open and relaxed, I don’t want to leave my normal weekend chores until then and have them hanging over my head when I want to enjoy the day. 

I don’t work Wednesdays, but I keep a pretty consistent schedule because I’m a control freak what’s more fun than an itinerary on your day off? Tuesday night you’ll find me jotting down my to-do list for the following day, various appointments or errands as needed, always with the following: 

Normal Wake Up Time
I used to whine and plead with Brent to just take car and drive himself to the train on Wednesdays so I could sleep in. Besides being a bad idea because then I’d be stuck at home all day with no car, sleeping late in the middle of the week would mess with my sleep schedule. I stick to my normal bedtime Tuesday night and wake up at the same time Wednesday. Part of this is because I have to be up to drive Brent to the train, but the other part is to keep my circadian rhythm regular. 

Grocery Shopping
Man, is it nice to not have to hit the supermarket on Sunday with everyone else in the world. I used to agonize over those Sunday trips with the chaotic parking lot and crowded produce section and insane check-out lines. I go to the supermarket on Wednesdays, which isn’t always a walk in the park, with all the yoga moms and their boutique strollers giving me dirty looks as I load my cart with sugary cereal and gasp non organic tomatoes, but anything's better than a weekend supermarket run. 

Meal Prep for the Week
Meal prep is a relatively new concept; when did this phrase even start? Growing up, for me at least, every dinner was a stand-alone meal. As much as I hate the whole frantic, busy lifestyle everyone is convinced they have (newsflash: you’re not busier than everyone, you’re just crap at time management), meal prep is the nice upshot of it. Cutting up veg, browning and roasting meat, getting dressings/marinades made and out of the way is a nice way to spend an afternoon. 

Clean the House
Sweep and mop the kitchen, dust and vacuum, see ya later. Brent cleans the bathrooms on Saturdays, and I can do the rest of the house in about an hour. I love a cleaning schedule and the instant gratification that comes with it. 

Work Out
I try to push myself more on my Wednesday work out. Whether it’s a longer run or an extra set of reps, I like to spend the time because I have it, as opposed to the week day when I have other things that get in the way of my work out. And by other things I mean sitting on the couch and catching up on Law and Order: SVU. 

Confession time: I've been shit at these tasks lately. Some of it is between traveling and having to go in to work on my day off, I haven't had a normal Wednesday off in awhile. I'm hoping that if I blog about how much I enjoy the productivity and accomplishment that comes with these habits, I'll get back into the swing of them. 

I've done most of these, but I'm staying away from the grocery store today because those Reese's pumpkins spell trouble. Reese's eggs are crack, and we all know the pumpkin is an egg with a little indent, so I'm steering clear. I think I can make it through the end of the month, but when November hits and those peanut butter pumpkins are half off, I can't promise anything. 

Comments

Yeewuz said…
Brent cleans the bathrooms on Saturdays, and I can do the rest of the house in about an hour. I love a cleaning schedule and the instant gratification that comes with it.

I don't want to take away any of your gratification so feel free to start cleaning the bathrooms kthxbye.
Sarah said…
Newsflash: you’re not busier than everyone, you’re just crap at time management.

This is the story of my life.