The Best Time of Year to Fall in Love With Running


Are you even a blogger if you're not totally obsessed with fall? If you don't bust out the flannels, boots and scarves the second the temperature dips below 75, what are you living for? 

We spend our year waiting for August 15th, or whenever it is Dunkin and Starbucks release their pumpkin drinks so we can be the first one to get that shit on the 'gram. We spend our weekend chasing children out of the apple orchards and pumpkin patch so we can get the perfect picture w/out their chubby little fingers ruining the goods. Mums and gourds and cinnamon sticks are the seasonal decor of choice, and if you don't have at least two of the three in every single picture on your social media between September and November, you can kiss your following good-bye. 

Full disclosure: the only people who regularly read my blog are one of my sisters (the other two can't even be bothered, if that's any indication) and my husband, so please don't put stock in anything I have to say. I enjoy hating on the cookie cutter blogging circuit, but I also secretly love all those perfectly curated fall photos. Sue me.

One of the best things about fall in my humble, non-bloggy opinion, is that it's the perfect season for running. You're not sweating your face off anymore and you still have some time before the frostbite happens. This is the running sweet spot, and if you're like me and pretend to like running, you should take advantage of it. 

The air is crisp and delicious, still filled with the heady scent of leaves before they get thick and moldy. Your sneakers make a satisfying crunch as you jog over the reds and oranges. You tell yourself that this is it, the time you actually get into running, and you even start to believe it.

Hold on to that feeling, because this sweet spot weather season lasts for about two weeks. It's a very precarious time for us wannabe runners; we're about one nor'easter away from the sleet and windchill that will sweep in and ruin any progress made.

Blogging is a fickle mistress, but running will flat-out break your heart. As someone who enjoys second-guessing herself and is constantly gripped by FOMO, is it any surprise that I love both? 

Comments

Sarah said…
"This is the running sweet spot, and if you're like me and pretend to like running, you should take advantage of it."

I am 50% of those who regularly read your blog and I approve this statement.