Friday Rants About Humanity


trying to channel the gumption of this rock right now

Can I be real a second?
For just a millisecond?
Let down my guard and tell the people how I feel a second?

Man, I don't even know the last time I danced around to Hamilton. I should make time for that this weekend. Nothing boosts my mood like belting out showtunes and impressing Brent with my wicked Hamilton rhymes. Except Brent is neither impressed or amused and usually shuts himself in the bedroom while the cats paw at the door, also in need of a reprieve from my singing. Their loss, I was just getting to the bridge. 

Real talk: this shit is wearing on me. I'm eating constantly, Brent and I are starting to get snappy, and the cats are trying to find a polite way to tell us we've worn out our welcome. Except that they're cats and they're basically saying "GTFU" with every side eye they shoot me.

Funnily enough, sheltering in place and only seeing Brent and the occasional neighbor and supermarket employee, the thing grating on my nerves the most? Other people. Around the house, you can still kind of pretend that nothing weird is going on. As soon as you step foot into the bank/pharmacy/supermarket, you can't keep that charade going.

Brent and I had to go to Bank of America this week. We closed our BOA account years ago and joined a local credit union b/c I hate Bank of America. But our condo fees are set up there and the branch down the street from us is closed. We took a midday break to drive to another branch, figuring lunchtime wouldn't be a mob scene, and wouldn't it be nice to stop at Target and see if we could find frozen pizza or disinfecting wipes? 

It was our own fault, really, knowing that this plaza is packed on any given Saturday. Learn from our mistake: midday during a global pandemic = Saturday on steroids 

The bank line wrapped around the building, where Brent waited and I went to Target, only to be greeted by empty shelves and empty freezers. There were hordes of people milling around on their typical Target run. I wanted to punch everyone I saw in their masked face.

I realize I sound like an asshole. But it is too much to ask for people to stop treating this like some kind of supermarket sweep free-for-all? To stop buying out the products that everyone else in the neighborhood/city/country needs? To listen to the goddamn shelter-in-place "requests" so we can maybe celebrate Christmas with our families this year? 

Seeing as it's Friday and I don't want to start the weekend off with a totally bad taste in my mouth, here are a few things that have been making me smile lately:


when they're not giving me attitude for being in their house, these tiny paws are adorbs



Comments