What I've Read Lately



I haven't done a reading round-up in a while - dare I say, since 2019? That sounds crazy, since one of the things I've been loving about this whole shelter-at-home is all the reading time. 


Initially I wasn't reading as much as I thought I would be. I think I was unconsciously going slow because I only had a set number of books checked out of the library, and I was worried that when those were over, I'd be plum out of luck. Then I introduced myself to the 21st century and remembered that I could check out ebooks and audiobooks and have that steady stream of books on hold and in my life again. 

In no particular order, except the order I read them, here's a list of some of my favorites lately:

One of Us is Lying - Karen McManus
I think this is YA, since the writing is pretty basic, but it reads really quickly because of that, and there's good character development. I liked toggling from person to person and thought it was a fun read.

Catch and Kill - Ronan Farrow
This is somehow both disturbingly eye-opening and yet completely what you'd expect out of show business, especially in light of the Me Too movement. 

Save Me the Plums - Ruth Reichl
Reichl comes across kind of boastful and name-dropping, but I always like her writing. The easy way she talks about food, and let's be real, the name-dropping, especially when it's about Chefs and restaurateurs. 

Such a Fun Age - Kiley Reid
An easy read about race and privilege, and I mean easy in that the writing was light, not that the subject matter was. There were a lot of layers that you wouldn't initially think. Full disclosure: I listened to the audiobook and the character Alix, pronounced Uh-leeks, drove me bananas. 

The Holdout - Graham Moore
Legal thriller, courtroom drama, murder mystery - yes, yes and yes. I enjoyed the fast-pace and guessing games this book provided. 

The Splendid and the Vile - Erik Larson
Another brilliant read by Larson, reminding me to put all his works on my to-read list. This one is about Winston Churchill's time as prime minister dealing with Hitler, the bombings, his family, and trying to convince FDR America needs to get on board. 

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone - Lori Gottlieb
A therapist's account of getting therapy herself. At first I thought this was a clever idea for a novel, but when I saw it was a memoir, I liked it even better. I laughed and cried and had a great time reading her journey. 

The Boy from the Woods - Harlan Coben
Late on the Harlan Coben train here, but I really, really, liked this book. The name is kind of deceiving, and it goes in a different direction than you initially think (and then does that like three more times), but it definitely keeps you on your toes. 

One of Us is Next - Karen McManus
Sequel to One of Us is Lying, and I put this on hold immediately after finishing that one. You get a glimpse of the characters you met and liked in the first book, but this book is through the eyes of some new players. 

The Last Romantics - Tara Conklin
Give me a book about sibling dynamics and a dysfunctional family and I'm happy as a clam. This book started kind of slow for me, and I almost almost put it down. I'm glad I didn't, because I really enjoyed the writing and the story.

Any good book recommendations for me as we head into summer and what seems to be a lot more time spent to ourselves? 

Comments

Sarah said…
Someday I'll read a book.
Brigid said…
Maybe Conan wrote a book you'll enjoy as much as his podcast =D
Anne said…
These all look great! Thanks for sharing. I've heard of some but not all... And your tastes seem to align with mine. Definitely adding the Harlan Coben one. My mother loves his stuff and I've never gotten into it. Thanks!
Brigid said…
@Anne: Definitely give Coben a shot if you like thrillers; I've enjoyed the ones I read of his. Just realized I wrote his name as Corben in the post, so thanks for graciously not mentioning it, lol!