A Love Note to Chicago

Brent was on a work call and I overheard one of the attendees remind everyone he was going to be out of the office for a trip to Chicago. I nearly tripped in my excitement to run in the living room and ask Brent all the relevant questions:

Did you tell him he had to go to Portillo's?

And the Hangge-Uppe?

And to avoid Lou Malnati's, but if he wants chain deep dish Giordano's is good?

Brent told him he hadn't recommended any of these things. What a missed opportunity. 
That poor kid is probably in line at Lou Malnati's right now.

This made me so sad (and not just for Brent's colleague) b/c I always associate Chicago with this time of year. I have the best sisters ever, and for a few years running we spent a fall weekend in Chicago celebrating my birthday. That was when Maureen lived in Wrigleyville and Beth's company had money, so they'd put us up downtown for a night while she was "traveling for work" and then we'd spend the next night in Wrigley. It wasn't the haute scene it is today, and we'd spend the night with our feet sticking to the floor at the Cubby Bear and eating tacos from the Taco Bell wearing the cubs hat (RIP).

Then Maureen got married in the fall, so we spent a fall weekend for her bachelorette and one for the actual wedding. Then Maureen had a baby in the fall, so we spent a weekend for the shower and then for the first birthday. Now Maureen is having another baby in the fall (IN LIKE TWO DAYS!) and we should be out there, welcoming our new niece and celebrating Abby and making loud raucous plans for drinking and dancing and hot dogs - in that order. 

A walk down memory lane will have to do for now. When we can all get together again, Abby's birthday is going to be one hell of a rager. Do they typically do keggers for two-year-olds?






Comments

Sarah said…
I 💜 this sentiment so much. I love Chicago and all my happy memories from there!
Anne said…
I am so envious of you, having TWO sisters. What wonderful relationships to carry you through your life. I hope you can get together soon.
Brigid said…
@Anne I'm lucky enough to have THREE sisters! And now I have two nieces, who will hopefully grow up to appreciate each other and have a built-in bestie like we do.
Anne said…
Dang it, now I'm even MORE envious! Your nieces are so lucky, too. I've been fortunate to find unrelated "sisters" throughout my life, but having some actual ones would be nice, too. (Not that I don't love my brother! :>)