Blah Blah Blah...and Some Book Recs


As I sit here trying not to be too mad at the 'rona for making us miss our niece's second birthday AND the birth of our newest addition, I can't help but be mad anyway. We should all be congregating in Chicago this weekend, but atlas. If you want to know how I really feel, read my last post here.

Brent and I have been trying to live our lives amidst this pandemic, which I feel like is the riskiest choice of all. If you're holed up at home and not venturing out until we have a vaccine, people accept the choice is up to you. If you're going about your life like everything is normal, people accept that you're a douche. For us middle-grounders, who are taking all the necessary precautions but still trying to experience all the beauty and wonder of life in our favorite city during our favorite time of year, it's a little trickier.

All this to say, 2020 needs to take a bow already. You've been played off for months now.

It's a dreary day here in Boston and I'm just not feeling it. You know those days when you can't stop the mindless eating, but you never get full? When you have zero motivation to do anything except scroll on your phone, but aren't seeing any of the content? *raises hand* At least these days are a lot easier when you're not actually at work and can walk from the fridge to the pantry in your bathrobe in peace. Actually, that's probably not such a good thing...

For some more positive news, I've been able to get a lot of reading done lately. Brent and I haven't watched any good TV recently, but I've been flying through my TBR list. Here are my top three from the last month or so, with quick summaries from GoodReads:

The Paris Hours by Alex George - beautiful writing weaves together a tale about strangers who all play a key role in each others story 
Told over the course of a single day in 1927, The Paris Hours takes four ordinary people whose stories, told together, are as extraordinary as the glorious city they inhabit.

A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler - extremely on point for the climate of our country today
Told from multiple points of view, A Good Neighborhood asks big questions about life in America today―What does it mean to be a good neighbor? How do we live alongside each other when we don't see eye to eye?―as it explores the effects of class, race, and heartrending star-crossed love in a story that’s as provocative as it is powerful.

The Boys Club by Erica Katz - another "ripped from the headlines" story that makes you angry enough to want to do something 
This page-turning debut novel—already optioned to Netflix—about sex and power in the halls of corporate America takes readers deep into the world of a prestigious law firm in New York City. 

Comments

Anne said…
OK, I rarely if ever read historical fiction. But The Paris Hours might break that streak. It sounds so intriguing! I'll have to look for it...
Brigid said…
I highly, highly recommend it! I don't think you'll regret it.