Stromboli Stromboli

I'm singing the title of this post in my head to the tune of that Santana song, Maria, Maria. You know what I'm talking about? Stromboli, Stromboli! Now you'll be singing that jazzily in your head while making this delicious dinner, so you're welcome in advance for all of it.  

I posted a nice, versatile dough last week and it only seemed right to stick w/ that theme. You’ve got your dough, so here’s what you should fill it with: spinach ricotta Stromboli! It’s as yum as it sounds, promise.

Brent begrudgingly admits he likes when I make this, even though the first few times we had it he frowned at the name b/c it has spinach in it. He’s a real meat and potatoes kind of guy -could probably eat a burger and fries for dinner for the rest of his life- and when I try to sneak vegetables in a dish somewhere, he scouts them out better than a toddler. 

Sautéing the spinach in garlic and olive oil goes a long way in masking that distinctly spinach-y taste; Popeye might have a bone to pick, but Brent and other veggie skeptics rejoice. 

Also, cheese. When I’m not sure Brent will like something, I pile on the cheese in hopes he won’t notice the flavors I’m trying to hide. This tactic has yet to fail me. 

If you don’t like spinach, consider swapping it out for your favorite veggies. That’s the great thing about Stromboli, it’s delicious no matter what.

Spinach Ricotta Stromboli

Ingredients 
Pizza dough (one pound of dough is perfect for Brent and me, so plan on 6-8oz per adult)
½ cup sauce (I use whatever spaghetti sauce I have on hand)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups spinach (fresh and frozen both work)
1 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon butter, melted 
Italian seasoning

Instructions 
1) Preheat oven to 375F. Line a cookie sheet w/ parchment and set aside. 
2) Sautee garlic in olive oil; add spinach and mushrooms and cook until spinach is wilted. Add red pepper flakes and stir to combine. 
3) Roll out dough into a rectangle 
4) Spread sauce on dough, leaving about a ½ inch perimeter w/out sauce. Add the spinach and mushroom mixture evenly on top. Heap spoonfuls of ricotta throughout the dough and sprinkle entire sauced area with mozzarella. 
5) Roll the dough into a log and pinch the ends closed or fold extra dough under. Place Stromboli on cookie sheet, seam side down. 
6) Brush the top with the melted butter and sprinkle on some Italian seasoning; cut a few slits in the top w/ a sharp knife for steam to vent 
7) Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown

Once again, I don't have a picture of my product. It's to the stocks for this bad blogger. Instead, here's a pic of a little guy was always excited for dinner. That's his "you gonna eat all that stromboli?" face.




Comments