Recent Reads - The Forgotten Garden

A whole lot of pages. That’s how I would sum up this book. 

Oh, you wanted something more? Like, actual substance? Pardon my brain; it’s Friday, bitches. The sun is out for the first time all week, the nor'easter is over, and the only thing between me and a three-day weekend are seven. more. hours. of. work. Barf.

Not many books can pull of 500+ pages. That’s A LOT of words. Hey, I’m not the only one thinking it. 

“The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do.” 
― Thomas Jefferson

Brad Pitt Rusty agrees w/ me:

“Don’t use seven words when four will do.”

Wise words, gentleman. 

I liked this book. Not at first. It was so freaking heavy and a pain in the ass to cart around every day. But once I looked past the bulk, the story kept me coming back for more. It stared out a little slow, in my opinion. But when Morton found her groove, I thought it was a really intriguing read.

I’m not good w/ summarizing, so I’ll let Amazon give it to you straight:

A tiny girl is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia in 1913. She arrives completely alone with nothing but a small suitcase containing a few clothes and a single book -- a beautiful volume of fairy tales. She is taken in by the dockmaster and his wife and raised as their own. On her twenty-first birthday they tell her the truth, and with her sense of self shattered and with very little to go on, "Nell" sets out on a journey to England to try to trace her story, to find her real identity. Her quest leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family. But it is not until her granddaughter, Cassandra, takes up the search after Nell's death that all the pieces of the puzzle are assembled. At Cliff Cottage, on the grounds of Blackhurst Manor, Cassandra discovers the forgotten garden of the book's title and is able to unlock the secrets of the beautiful book of fairy tales.

Admit it; you’re interested. 

If you’ve got an e-reader, the size of the book won’t bother you. If not, I’d say it’s still worth the heavy purse and back pain. Who doesn't love a fairy tale? 

Comments