An Out-of-the-Box Summer Dinner Idea

Summa, summa, summatime. I can't really pull that off, can I? Too bad, the words are already out. It's time for patio drinking, daily ice cream trips, and enough sunscreen to protect the island of Aruba. That should last me the first week. I'm here today with a recipe sure to add to your summer enjoyment. When we think of summer go-to's, it's all barbecue sides and anything with a spotlight on fresh summer produces. Gimme allllll the berry recipes, please. 

This one is a little different. Instead of the obvious choice for something cool and refreshing, I'm going in a totally different direction here. Are you ready for your new summer staple? Ramen. Bet you didn't see that coming. 

Let's be real, ramen isn't the first thing you think of when you think of summer foods. It probably isn't the second, or even the tenth. But it's noodle-y and delicious and I'm breaking all the BBQ rules. I'm also breaking all the traditional ramen rules, since I'm not trained in Asian cuisine. Brent and I love noodles and I like anything I can try to load in lots of secret veggies that Brent picks out anyway b/c I'm not that sly. I'm also not suggesting you bring this to your next summer barbecue, b/c it's hard to transport hot dishes and people will probably give you weird looks, like who's this bozo putting ramen next to my potato salad?

The great thing about ramen, as w/ most soups, is it's so easy to make substitutions, try new flavors, and make a dish that's totally personalized to your palette. Get your noodles at H Mart or use the package from the supermarket (sans seasoning packet). Spend all day simmering your broth or throw it together ten minutes before dinner. Laugh in the face of everyone giving you the side eye for eating hot soup when it's 80 degrees out b/c it's delicious and their loss.


Homemade Ramen (serves 2)

Ingredients:
3 cups water + more to boil noodles in
1 onion, diced
1 package mushrooms, diced
1 large broccoli head, cut into florets
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 packages ramen noodles
Optional add-ons: eggs, sesame seeds, sriracha, scallions

Instructions:
1. In a medium pot over low heat, sweat garlic and onions in olive oil until translucent. Add mushrooms and sweat until soft, but not floppy. Add water, soy sauce, salt pepper and any other seasonings. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. The longer you simmer, the more flavor you develop. You can do this in a few minutes, or take as long as you want. You could also use veg/chix stock instead of water.
2. Steam broccoli florets: in a microwave safe bowl, add florets and a splash of water. Cover and microwave for 4-5 minutes, or until desired firmness (or softness, depending on your preference; I like a bite to mine, so about 4 minutes). 
3.Boil water and cook ramen noodles. Drain. Add steamed broccoli and noodles to your broth. 
4. Cook your eggs. Usually I soft boil them for ramen, but I was lazy yesterday and did them sunny side up. You just want the runny yoke, so whatever works for you.
5. Ladle out your bowls. Top with egg, hot sauce, sesame seeds, scallions, etc. 
6. Slurp loud enough to annoy your dinner companion; that's the only way to eat ramen.

Comments