Derailed


It's been one of those weeks. When a train derails on Tuesday, causing your commute to be 2+ hours, 2 of those hours spent standing up in the aisle of a packed bus with miserable people and their wet umbrellas, it's not a sign of good things to come. 

It can only go up from there, right?

You'd think.

But then you read all the articles about how the world is ending in 2050 and how terrible we've been to this beautiful planet and all the other creatures that live on it, and you realize it can continue downhill at rapid speed. 

To top it all off, the Bruins lost. I'm not a huge sports fan, especially hockey, but it's fun when the city can unite over something. To be fair, St. Louis probably needed the win more than we did, seeing as we've won two major championships this year. I'll take comfort in the fact we won't be hosting yet another parade that will snarl my already precarious commute.

I had all these plans for when I got home from work today. Laundry, dinner prep, organizing blog post ideas, cleaning the litter box, cutting the cats nails, going for a run around the neighborhood. I almost went for a run; instead I made cookies, which is almost the same thing. I just put a load of laundry in, so I'm going to reward myself with some cookie dough. The dough is chilling in the refrigerator, which I treat as a cookie dough buffet and use the time to debate if I actually want to bake the cookies as a nice treat for Brent, or sit on the couch and eat cookie dough. It's not looking good, B.

One of the things I love about our new place is the kitchen table nook, where I write all these blog posts I've been churning out lately. It's a beautiful day and the window is open so the cats and I can enjoy the fresh air. I'm trying to stay positive in light of all the negative from the week, so I'm not even going to mention how staring right at the McDonald's arches the kitchen window overlooks is driving me crazy. I'm not even thinking about those McDonald's coupons that came in the mail for a buy one, get one McFlurry, and how great that vanilla soft-serve would be with chunks of my cookie dough thrown in. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind.

Where was I going with this post, you might ask. How have I gotten more derailed than the train on Tuesday morning. Ah, nothing like some T humor. Who am I kidding, the Bruins lost and the city still found a reason to unite; the hatred of all things MBTA.

If my batshit ramblings haven't made it clear, I didn't exactly start this post out with an outline in mind. Now seems a good a time as any to wrap it up. It's almost 5pm on Friday, which means one of two things: happy hour at the bar, or happy hour in my kitchen with a McFlurry and some cookie dough. After the week I've had, I might even throw some Bailey's in; now it's a party. 

Comments