Easy Egg Salad

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home, and as I sit here typing at my kitchen table, a cat snoozing on the laptop bag next to me, I feel extremely lucky. If I was still in the restaurant job I was at a few months ago, I would absolutely be out of work right now. Things are challenging now, but they could always be worse.

I'm not here today to talk about silver linings and keeping a positive mindset, although I might be back with that, b/c I've actually been keeping it very upbeat over here. No, today is for what brings us all together and provides comfort during times like this: food. 

If you don't like eggs, you won't like this post. Also, if you don't like eggs, may I kindly ask WTF? There are a dozen ways to prepare them and they all taste different. Not liking eggs is a real self-disservice, but you do you. 

This week for lunch, I've had them soft boiled on ramen, scrambled in a frittata, and today I made a simple egg salad that was so damn good I had to stop and write about it. I'm lying, of course, I ate the whole bowl before sitting down to write this post, but you get the point. 

I usually have two hard boiled eggs with my salad at work, so I've been sticking to two eggs for these meals. There's no need to run out and buy 4 dozen eggs (or stockpile anything else you've been hoarding) (there's enough food for everyone) (okay, rant over) (for now). Since I haven't been going in, I haven't been doing my Sunday food prep and didn't have any hard boiled eggs in the fridge. I got the water boiling around 12:30 and the eggs were cooling in the fridge by 12:45. I wanted to eat at 1, because I'm a creature of habit and need to stick to some semblance of a routine these days, but the eggs were still boiling hot when I went to peel them. I got through half an egg before sticking two in the freezer to cool faster. Then I proceeded to check on them every minute until they were cool enough to peel as long as I rotated them between my hands like a hot potato. I thought about how gross a hot egg would be until I realized that I love hot eggs and eat them constantly; it's called brunch.

Pro-tip: give yourself enough time to boil and cool your eggs like a normal person. 


Egg Salad
(Yield: enough for 1 sandwich/person)

Ingredients:
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1 stick celery, finely diced
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (use mayonnaise if you don't have/like Greek yogurt)
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
Salt, pepper, paprika to taste

Instructions:
-Combine ingredients in medium bowl.
-Mash eggs with fork, stir and taste.
-Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Add more yogurt/mayo if you want a creamier texture. 

Comments