21 Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2021

looking forward to brighter days ahead and the patio beers they bring

Let's start this year on a positive note; with a list of things I'm excited about! 2021 isn't going to miraculously be better tomorrow, but I'm going to trust the process. In the meantime, I have a lot to look forward to this year:

Covid Vaccine 
I’ve already seen so many people post about receiving the vaccine. I know the rollout will take months, but I’m excited by the prospect of this being administered to so many over the year. 

Meeting Hannah 
My second niece was born in October and it was really special; we share a birthday! I wish I could be at her christening in a few weeks, but I know when we meet later this year it will be worth the wait. 

Celebrating Abby 
Abby, my first niece, turned two on Halloween. She has been wearing her mask like a champ, dealing with a new sibling, and providing all the smiles during our family video chats. This babe deserves a party and I can’t wait until we can all get together to give it to her.

Inauguration 
Biden might not have been my first choice for president, but I damn sure voted for him to get Trump out of office. And our first female VP, one as boss as Kamala? I am very excited about this inauguration. 

Traveling 
I don’t want to get my hopes up here, but I’m so ready for a trip. Even if it’s just to Syracuse to see my folks. In fact, I can’t wait to travel to Syracuse to see them. 

Working from home 
I don’t miss bundling up to face the cold, complaining about the slow train service, or getting caught in a wintry mix in the least. Can we create a permanent winter WFH policy? 

Softer skin 
My skin has been so dry and flaky, so I broke down and bought a few Colleen Rothschild products. They weren’t cheap, but if they can help my face not feel like sandpaper, they’ll be worth it. 

Virtual game nights 
In March and April of 2020, weekly game calls with the family were a welcome distraction. I’m excited for these remotely (and all the troubleshooting they bring) until we can do them in person. 

Reading
I crushed my reading goal for 2020, which makes me a little nervous that I won’t be able to beat it in 2021. I’m trying not to have a number in mind and to focus on chipping away at the endless list of books in my to-be-read queue. 

Staying hydrated 
I have to get up to go to the bathroom at least once every night, and I hate it. I stopped drinking as much water in hopes I wouldn’t need to get up in the night, but now I still get up in the middle of the night and I wake up with dry mouth and a headache. Coming to terms with my tiny bladder is probably something I should look forward to this year. 

Seeing friends 
In real life? Possibly?? Pretty please?!! 

Using less plastic 
Brent’s parents gifted us reusable mesh produce bags and I am stoked. I rarely use the disposable plastic bags, and I’m excited to never have to again. 

Vacuuming smarter 
Brent’s parents also got us the dust-buster we asked for and I’m thrilled to not have to drag our Dyson down the stairs and worry about slipping on the wood and falling to my death.

Clean car mats 
The dust-buster will also be perfect to clean the floor mats in our car. 

Visiting family 
I was fortunate enough to see two of my sisters and my parents last summer, and I’m hoping it will be even safer to do so this summer. Fingers crossed for a trip to Chicago!

Save money 
Back when the quarantine started in March, Brent arbitrarily decided we should only eat out twice per week. It annoyed me at first (since I do all the cooking) but I think it was a good reminder that this is an opportunity to save. 

Tick, Tick…Boom! 
The screen adaptation of Jonathan Larson's (created Rent) semi-autobiographical musical is coming out this year, directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Rent was the first musical I fell in love with and LMM can do no wrong, so this should be awesome. 

Perfecting Satisfied 
More time at home means more time to watch Hamilton. I’m not crazy enough to think I can learn Guns and Ships, but Satisfied? I think I can do it. 

Paint-by-number 
My office let the staff order a paint-by-number kit of their choosing for the holiday Zoom call and I've barely touched it b/c I'm worried about messing it up. I want to view this as a chance to step out of my comfort zone and (possibly?) a way to relax. 

Listen more 
Sometimes I find myself listening to an audiobook while scrolling Instagram or even reading an article, and I’m totally missing the book. I want to be present in my books and in my life, absorbing what I’m listening to without just hearing the words. 

Supporting small business 
Brent and I have been making a real effort to support small and local. That’s going to be even more important this year and we’re happy to help any way we can.

What are you looking forward to in 2021?

Comments

Anne said…
So many of the same things as you...but knowing that, in light of last week's insurrection, it's even more challenging now to maintain a positive outlook for 2021. I do remain hopeful that things will, eventually, change. But oh, it's going to be slow. And it's going to be hard.

I am already looking forward to seeing my family, although it will likely be close to a year again before that happens. Sigh.

I particularly loved your take on the paint by numbers and getting out of your comfort zone. I could use some more of that!
Brigid said…
@Anne: slow but steady will be the mantra for 2021. Whether I do the paint-by-number or not, I want to get out of my comfort zone/get out of my head. In this instance, it's a recreational activity; why am I so hung up on doing it "perfectly?!" I hope we both have good luck with these goals!