The Best Books I Read in 2020


2020 won't be remembered too fondly, but it had its perks. Not being able to go anywhere meant a lot of time for books. I smashed my reading goals for the year. I read books outside my status quo genres and comfort zone. I hope to do much more of that in 2021. In no particular order, my favorite books from 2020:

The Truths We Hold - Kamala Harris
I needed a primer on our first female vice president (what what!!!) and I figured I'd go right to the source. This isn't a deep dive autobiography, but an easy memoir highlighting her upbringing and career trajectory. I really enjoyed learning about our first FEMALE VICE PRESIDENT (that just doesn't get old).

White Ivy - Susie Yang
From Goodreads: "Filled with surprising twists and offering sharp insights into the immigrant experience, White Ivy is both a love triangle and a coming-of-age story, as well as a glimpse into the dark side of a woman who yearns for success at any cost." This pulled me in immediately and was quite the ride.

Anxious People - Fredrik Backman
This was my favorite read from 2020. Backman is an amazing storyteller and such a whiz at character development, I wanted to be in the hostage situation with these people. Something about this one particularly made me feel hopeful, which isn't an easy task in the middle of a global pandemic. 

Rodham - Curtis Sittenfeld
What if Hillary didn't marry Bill Clinton? I thought this was such a creative idea for a book, and enjoy anything by Sittenfeld. 

A Good Neighborhood - Therese Ann Fowler
This was such an important read for 2020. A glimpse into the life of two families in a southern town where tension cuts through all their interactions and finally comes to a head. You know what's going to happen, but you really hope you're wrong. 

The Paris Hours - Alex George 
From Goodreads: "Told over the course of a single day in 1927, The Paris Hours takes four ordinary people whose stories, told together, are as extraordinary as the glorious city they inhabit." This was a pure delight to read.

The New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander 
If you only read one book about race in America (but why stop at one?), this should be it. Alexander addresses why crime rates fluctuate and remain relatively low, but the incarceration rates of men of color continue to climb. It was a sobering eye opener for a white person in their bubble, and also extremely well researched and written without having too many footnotes or going over my head. 

Untamed - Glennon Doyle
I saw this book everywhere in the beginning of 2020, and after reading it, I understand why. Sure, she comes off a little self-important, but I think her courage stands out even more and her writing really sparked something in me. 

Know My Name - Chanel Miller
Chanel Miller was raped by Brock Turner at Stamford University. Turner is your typical white, privileged bro who gets off easy, and if that doesn't make your blood boil, how Stamford treated the victim certainly will. Miller is a beautiful writer and the strength that comes through in this book will move you to tears. 

The Splendid and the Vile - Erik Larson
If you haven't read Erik Larson, you're missing out. This is a deep dive into Winston Churchill and his family during his time as prime minister during World War II. Even if WWII literature isn't up your alley, Larson is such an amazing writer, you'll soon be lost in 1940's London. 

Comments