Mad Skills (I Wish I Had)


Our weekly (remote) staff meetings typically start with an icebreaker. This week's activity included probing questions such as "what's your favorite noise?" and "what would your superpower be?" One of the question stuck with me, and I've been considering it all week: "if you could master one skill, what would you pick?" There's no place like a staff meeting to contemplate all the ways you've disappointed yourself.

There's lot of things I could list here, but this is the shortlist if I ever happen upon a magic lamp. You know, after I wish for unlimited wishes, cure cancer, end poverty/racism, and ban the phrase "I did a thing." 

Play the piano
This was the first thing I thought of when the question was posed at the staff meeting, so I figured I'd lead with it. Two of my sisters and I took piano lessons when we were younger, and we were lucky enough to have a piano in our living room (it was apparently free and my parents have some wild story about how they got it into the house). I was by no means a virtuoso, but if I had kept with it, who knows, I might be today. 

Speak French/Spanish fluently
I took French in high school and remember practically nothing. It's a beautiful language and who doesn't fantasize about running into Bradley Cooper and flirting in a language where other Americans can't hear how much you embarrass yourself. I'd also love to know Spanish, since it's so prevalent and would be a major asset. 

Tap dance
A few years ago I looked into adult tap classes in Boston but I chickened out before I could sign up. Brent and I watched "White Christmas" over the holidays, and I regretted not following through with such a savvy skill. 

Think on my feet
I almost called this "Lying," but that sounded too deceptive. Honestly though, I feel like that's why I'm not good when I'm put on the spot; I'm a terrible liar. My mind literally goes blank when I'm asked a question I'm not prepared for, whether I know the subject matter or not. If I could at least spin a good lie, I wouldn't have to stand there like a dope with a bright red face and sweaty armpits. 

Command a room
This speaks to my confidence, of which I am in short supply. I don't know what it is about me that screams "talk over me," but I have it in spades. There's nothing more frustrating than having an idea in a meeting, or trying to chime in on a conversation and being interrupted or talked over. I wish I was more comfortable speaking up and projecting confidence so I'm not steamrolled into silence. 

Switching subjects, one of the questions in the staff meeting was "who's your favorite villain?" I wrote Elphaba since I love "Wicked" and a good misunderstood underdog story. Someone wrote "Cruella DeVil and I'm still processing this. Like, I get it, she gave a very memorable performance, but, um, she also KILLED PUPPIES. What kind of person likes Cruella? Unless it's a "love to hate" thing. We didn't get into the answers, since it was a quick activity, so I guess I'll always wonder which of my colleagues wants to club and skin innocent animals.

Comments

Stephanie said…
The Glenn Close Cruella is fabulous, that's probably why. The best quote about marriage, that one. But Hades is the best villain!
I have no idea what skill I'd master though. But I do command 3 out of your 5 - piano, tap, and lying in the moment, well. I think it might be one of my Scorpio traits - we hate letting people in or revealing anything personal about ourselves so the deception part comes easily.
Brigid said…
I've never seen the real life 101 Dalmations, I guess I need to! Anyone who reads your blog knows you know how to command a room, so I think you've got 4/5; you're such a renaissance woman!