An Ambitious New Year


For the first time in awhile (ever?) I didn't make any new year's resolutions. I absolutely love the idea of new year's resolutions, but I'm not always great at the follow through. I may or may not be the girl who's stealing your front row spot in barre class on January 1st and then never sets foot in the gym after Valentine's Day. Not that example specifically, b/c I hate that girl, but you get the idea.

I want to focus on the long game without any definitive parameters, like lose 20 pounds, or save $20k. I'm going to incorporate more things in my life that I enjoy and that add value. The goal here is self-improvement while hopefully contributing to my community (somewhat) in the process.  

2020 Ambitions:

-Get a Basic Wine Education
This is long overdue, especially for someone in the hospitality field. My lack of wine knowledge is embarrassing and I'm constantly saying how I want to get more into wine w/out doing anything about it.

-Take a Cooking Class w/ Brent
Not so Brent suddenly falls in love w/ cooking so we can make magic together in the kitchen at every meal (though wouldn't that be awesome), but b/c I think this will be fun and different than our normal happy hour scene.

-Volunteer
Whether it's a monthly commitment, or getting involved in a race/festival/one-time activity, I'd like to focus on giving back. 

-Post at Least 1 Vlog 
I've been harboring a secret desire to vlog for some time now, don't ask me why. Whether it's a cooking tutorial, leading a workout, or doing my makeup application (LOLLOL!!!), the opportunities are endless and I'm going to be a YouTube star, damn it! 

-Write More 
Either on the blog or in one of my old, tattered notebooks, this is one I want to focus on. I've always loved writing as a creative outlet (duh, like everyone else who started bloggging) and need to make this a priority again. My writing isn't going to improve if I avoid doing it. 

-Respond to Texts in a More Timely Fashion
Nothing is more irritating than sending a quick question via text and not hearing anything back. I would much rather hop on a the phone and iron out the details than the back-and-forth of a text exchange where I want to pull my hair out, but since I'm in the minority here and most info is relayed via text, I'm getting serious about responding to texts ASAP. 

-Check Restaurants Off My Boston Bucket List 
This is a constantly growing list and I'm going to make a real effort to try new places instead of the normal haunts we frequent again and again. 

-Make a Gratitude List
Okay, maybe I did make a new year's resolution: to practice gratitude. Health and mobility are things we take for granted until they're gone and we realize how much of a colossal ingrate we are. I'm going to get in the habit of making a gratitude list and focus on my blessings. 

-Positive Over Negative
This one kind of ties into the gratitude. Overall, I want to be a better person, and I think I carry a lot of negativity around with me. Maybe it's manifesting itself into back pain? Who knows, but I'm going to work on putting out positive vibes and see what happens. 

-No More Paper Napkins/Straws
Once we use up the paper napkin stash we have at home, we're switching over to cloth napkins (yes, Brent, we are). I usually remember to say "no straw" when ordering my water when we're out, but now I'm going to be vigilant about it.

-Research Going Vegetarian
This is something I've always toyed with, mostly for ethical reasons. Seeing how climate change is ravaging our planet makes forgoing meat for environmental reasons seem more important than ever. 

-More Frequent Instagram Posts?
This one is a question mark b/c I'm still toying with the idea. I love reading my old blog posts (vain much) and Instagram is another great snapshot in time I sometimes wish I utilized more. I don't take a whole lot of pictures on my phone to begin with, which is probably why I don't post that often, but the idea of a more regular photo diary appeals to me, not gonna lie.

Comments

Yeewuz said…
Once we use up the paper napkin stash we have at home, we're switching over to cloth napkins (yes, Brent, we are).

I don't even know who you are any more.