Ham and Potato Chowder


The holidays are over, but chances are your refrigerator is still packed with all the trimmings from your Christmas ham and hosting accoutrements from the last week. This ham and potato chowder is the most delicious way to use up the ham taking up all the space in your crowded fridge, and it's the perfect dish for the cold January days ahead. Win win. 

I served this chowder with a buttermilk quick bread recipe I found online that I was a little reluctant to make b/c it seemed stupid easy, but it ended up being the perfect accompaniment. I'll post that later b/c one of my resolutions for 2020 is to blog more. 

J/K, like I'd set myself up for that. 

Ham and Potato Chowder 

Ingredients:
2-3 Yukon potatoes, peeled and diced
2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 yellow onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups cooked ham, diced
2 cups milk/stock/water
1 can corn, drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
-Place cut potatoes and carrots in large pot; fill with water and set over medium heat. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until softened. Drain and allow to cool.
-Sautee garlic and onions over medium heat until translucent and fragrant.
-Put potatoes and carrots in blender with a cup of water; blend until smooth. 
-Put garlic, onions and ham back into the large pot; add the potato and carrot mixture and turn heat to medium. Thin out with milk/stock/water (I used a mixture of milk and water)
-Add cheese and stir until melted evenly throughout 
-Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add corn and stir smooth.
-Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate. Chowder is even better on the second or third day, and will last for up to a week in the refrigerator.

Comments

Anne said…
Willing to share which quick bread recipe you used? (Can't eat the chowder, but the bread sounds excellent. :>)
Thanks!
Brigid said…
@Anne yes! I'll be posting the bread soon, I hope you try it = D
Anne said…
Just saw it - thanks so much! I *love* quick breads and didn't have a go-to "regular" bread option. And thanks for linking to the kitchn's variations, too - lots of ideas there.