The Best Books I Read in 2019

starting off 2020 with some bangers 

I set a lofty goal for myself in 2019 to read 100 books. I was averaging between 75 - 80 books a year, and I really wanted to push myself and see if I could get to 100. I use Goodreads to track my books, and when I clicked on my year in review, I saw that I read 125 books. 

Insert a paragraph humblebragging about how smart and better than you I am here.

I'm not going to act like I wasn't grinning stupidly when I saw that and shouting at Brent to guess how many books I read this year. He may or may not have low-balled me to check my ego; it (mostly) didn't work.

In no particular order, I've compiled my ten favorite reads below. Most of them were published in 2019, but 2 - 3 of them might be a few years older. As I was making my list, I was psyched to see almost all of them were written by females. Badass women writing about badass women, and I hope to read a lot more of that in 2020.

The Great Alone, Kristin Hannah
A gripping read about surviving both the unforgiving Alaskan wilderness and a volatile, irrational father. Started a little slow for me, but once it started building momentum, was really hard to put down.

Girls Burn Brighter, Shobha Rao
Set between India and America, this is the story of love and friendship between two girls who are ripped from each other's lives and will stop at nothing to find each other again.

When You Read This, Mary Adkins
Told in a series of emails, blog posts and texts, this book is an honest and hilarious glimpse into our digital lives.

There There, Tommy Orange
The story of a dozen or so characters and their personal reasons for heading to a powwow in Oakland. Beautifully written and tragically sad, this book gives us an inside look into a people we've too often marginalized and forgotten.

A Woman is No Man, Etaf Rum
A story of Palestinian women living in modern America dealing with the shackles of tradition and generational challenges. The strength and resilience of women is the biggest takeaway, which is why I enjoyed it as much as I did.

City of Girls, Elizabeth Gilbert
Told from the perspective of an older woman looking back on her youth with both fondness and regret, this was a really fun read. I love old New York, and this book made me feel like I was a part of something magic.

Miracle Creek, Angie Kim
A poignant and tragic courtroom drama that asks you how far you would go to protect the ones you love. Highly recommend, especially if you like Jodi Picoult novels. 

The Dutch House, Ann Patchett
I love Ann Patchett. I love dysfunctional families. I love the complicated relationship between siblings who are also best friends. No surprise that I loved nearly everything about this book. 

The Giver of Stars, Jojo Moyes
The story of how a group of women started a travelling library in rural Kentucky to continue the work of first-lady Eleanor Roosevelt. The women in this book were strong and ahead of their time, and the character development was probably my favorite part.

The Witches Are Coming, Lindy West
A cultural critique of the misogyny of the #MeToo movement. While I don't agree with everything West has to say (The Wedding Singer is AWESOME), I whole-hardheartedly support her message, and her writing is that in which you're laughing out loud on one page and near tears on the next.

Comments