Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas

One of my resolutions for 2020, and life in general, is to eat less meat. With the deluge of cooking blogs and Pinterest inspiration, there's no shortage of meatless meals to choose from. I know I saw a sweet potato enchilada floating around somewhere, but I can't find the exact post I drew inspiration from, so if it was you, know that I'm not trying to claim this recipe as my own. Also know that probably like 3 people will see this post, so no harm done.

I've had a black bean and sweet potato taco on my Pinterest board forever and I love that flavor combo. Brent is usually great about trying new things, but he's definitely a meat lover, so I knew I needed to pack in the flavor if I wanted him on board with these enchiladas. I probably went a little overboard with the spice factor between the green chillies, jalapeño and pepper jack cheese, but we both really liked the flavor.

This is a great recipe to play around with; you can amp up the spice level by adding cayenne, take out the jalapeño if you want milder flavor,  omit the corn if that's not your thing, etc. I liked the texture by mashing the sweet potatoes but leaving them lumpy, but you could mash them totally smooth or skip the mashing altogether and leave them cubed.

This dish came together in just over an hour, but most of that time was hands off while the sweet potatoes were roasting, or while the enchiladas themselves were baking. It's easy enough for a weeknight meal, but enchiladas are exciting enough to serve when company comes. Get some sweet potatoes and salsa verde and try this dish ASAP.

Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas 

Ingredients: 

2 medium sweet potatoes 
1 can black beans 
1 can diced tomatoes with green chillies 
1 can corn 
1 jalapeño, diced 
1 small red onion, diced 
2 cloves garlic, minced 
2 cups grated cheese of choice (I used pepper jack) 
Salt and pepper 
2 cups (16 ounces) mild salsa verde (I used store bought) 
8 tortillas 
Sour cream, optional (to garnish) 
Cilantro, optional (to garnish) 

Instructions: 
-Preheat oven to 400 F. Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 20-25 minutes until soft. 
-While sweet potatoes are roasting, combine black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, jalapeño, red onion, garlic, and one cup of shredded cheese in medium bowl. Stir combined and add salt and pepper to taste. 
-Once sweet potatoes are roasted, add to filling mixture, mashing them to your preferred preference.  
-Pour about 1 cup of salsa verde into bottom of casserole dish (I used 9 x 13). Begin making the enchiladas; scoop about ½ cup of filling into a tortilla, fold one end up in a flap, and roll both sides over. Place flap side down in casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. 
-Top with another cup of salsa verde and remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until cheese is melted and salsa verde is bubbly. Serve with chopped cilantro and sour cream.

Comments

Stephanie said…
These look delicious!
Brigid said…
@Steph: They were really good! Maybe not Taco Bell tasty, but you should give them a shot ; )
Yeewuz said…
I saw there was a comment and thought "Oh no, the original poster of the recipe has found you!"