Breaking All The Rules

I’ve got this annoying little habit of reading every book I start - even if I don’t like it. My mom was always emphasizing how we should give everything a fair chance. And my dad drilled into us the importance of always finishing what you start. I wonder where I get this habit from... 

There are so many books I want to read and I get bogged down w/ the duds (damn book jacket makes it seems like it’s going to be the next Da Vinci Code). I used to have a 50-page rule and if I wasn’t interested after that I’d quit; but when the book is hundreds of pages, 50 pages isn’t really a fair chance. So now I’m plagued w/ all these terrible book recommendations and an ever-growing pile of library books that I want to read but will probably have to return before I can even open. 

This annoying habit is rearing its ugly head w/ the book I’m currently reading. I was on the train today and ended up stuffing it in my bag b/c I was so apathetic. 


Anyone read it? Here’s an idea: don’t. It’s one of the many dystopian series spurred by The Hunger Games, and if I can let you in on a little secret, it’s terrible. I don’t dislike it; I can’t muster up enough energy to care about it one way or another. 

The Hunger Games took the world by storm b/c it was good. Dystopian novels and young adult series aren’t a new trend. Suzanne Collins had a one-in-a-million idea and she’s a great writer. But all the series riding the heels? Not so much. I’ve read a few novels in these copycat series and I’m not even interested enough to pick up the sequel, let alone finish the series. 

I was captivated w/ Katniss. That girl did not mess around. I was invested in the characters and what their fate would be. Collins described their lives and relationships w/out it seeming played out and trite. I hate it when I’m reading a book and it isn’t genuine. Like the author is just putting words to the page to cash in on the latest trend, or worse, without even making sense (vampires can’t go out in daylight, I don’t care if they’re in the shade or not. I'd vom all over Edward and his diamond skin #ihatetwilight) 

Maybe I should just skip the young adult section from now on. For now, I think I’m going to break my hard-and-fast rule. No telling what could happen from here!

Comments

Malory said…
I need to break INTO the YA section - there are so many and I'm so uneducated about the genre! But whenever I'm at work and I pass the section, they look pretty enticing. Any that you would recommend??
Sarah said…
You should read Game of Thrones. It's a hard read, but it helps me understand the story a lot better (because like you, I find it confusing with so much going on). It's written from the perspective of multiple characters ala Jodi Picoult. I can bring it to M&Ds if you want. HA, me lending you a book. :) And even though I have a hard time putting books down after I start them, the major one I never finished was Da Vinci Code. I was reading it before the movie came out so I could contribute to the book vs movie discussion. But, since we wanted to see the movie in the theater, we went before I finished the book. Then the book went back on the shelf, never to be picked up again.
Brigid said…
@Malory: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a must-read. Heartfelt and candid, you'll be crying or laughing throughout the whole book.

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker was another YA book I enjoyed; very cool concept.

@Sarah: I want to read Game of Thrones. If you bring it to Mom and Dads, I'll give it a whirl! The second season is a bit more confusing, eh...